ATK0100 error

matrix86

I just put together a desktop (my first build!). Instead of reinstalling everything, I cloned my hard drive from my ASUS laptop to the 1TB that I put in my new build. Unfortunately, I'm now getting ATK0100 errors every time I boot. Says it [FONT=verdana]Can't Open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode[/FONT] and that I need to install the ATK0100 drivers. But I know this is a laptop thing and is not needed for desktops (or am I wrong?) I have already deleted anything that says ATK0100 from system32, as well as from the file repository as I have seen suggested in other forums. I also uninstalled the ATK Package via the Add/Remove Programs section from the control panel. I still get the errors. Do I also need to delete all ACPI folders as well?

After what you say you have done, a Windows PC will normally not start at all.

I'm afraid your grasp of how Windows works may be a bit weak. Every motherboard is different, and laptops versus desktops are more different still. This difference lies mostly in the hardware - hardware which reads your disc drives, USB plug-ins, printers, network, video card, memory, CPU, keyboard, mouse and a host of other alternative stuff.

The way all those different pieces of hardware can work is down to very specific 'driver' software that interfaces your hardware with the one common factor - the Windows operating system itself.

Because of a shockingly short-sighted decision made over a decade ago by Microsoft, all the details of those drivers is stored in one database, called the registry. The registry is just a chunk of data saved on the hard drive that you cannot easily change yourself with text editors and so on.

When you just copy or clone the HDD from one PC to another, all those drivers and the registry details go with them to the new hardware, where they mean nothing at all to the new hardware, which consequently fails to start or otherwise explodes in your face.

There are ways and means whereby you can persuade Windows to throw out all the old drivers and start using new ones appropriate to the new hardware, but it is probably way beyond your present capabilities to do it. Essentially, you only have one option - to reinstall Windows from scratch, which includes all the applications you have gathered over the years, re-apply all your special settings, and you will probably lose all your personal data at the same time. You'll be lucky if you even have appropriate install media to do that.

Or find someone who knows what they are doing to perform a non-destructive installation-in-place for you. Here is a flavour of what might happen https://www.techspot.com/community/...ve-to-different-pc-having-some-issues.166518/

I'm afraid your grasp of how Windows works may be a bit weak.

Well, I am posting in a help forum, so I'd say that was obvious, lol.

There are ways and means whereby you can persuade Windows to throw out all the old drivers and start using new ones appropriate to the new hardware

This is what I was looking for, just didn't realize it would be more complicated than it is.

Or find someone who knows what they are doing to perform a non-destructive installation-in-place for you.

It's Windows...even my grandma can install it, lol. I was hoping to avoid reinstallation, but since kicking the old drivers has proven to be difficult, guess I have no other option. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Never hurts to ask and at least your answer was actually informative and not just a "no, you're stupid, go away" response. Kind of hard to learn anything when nobody is willing to explain their answers, so thanks! I've taken care of viruses, browser and network issues, and used back doors to get in to Windows when friends forgot their passwords, but this is my first driver issue. This was also the first time I ever deleting anything from System32...something I would NEVER do except people from other sites mentioned that step. Being a driver from a previous system, that was the only reason I did what I did.

But hey, at least I learned something new!

Glad you were not offended !!
In the link I gave you referring to others experiences, if you read it carefully, it is saying you need a full retail install copy of Win 7 (assuming Win 7 is what you are installing). You boot off it, and perform a windows repair install. That's the bare bones of it anyway. It's not a full install, it is a reset to factory condition, including detection of the actual hardware, but without the deletion of your existing setup and data..... Hopefully.

Back