Attaching logs after completing 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there:
I completed the 8-step removal after my Symantec Antivirus prompted me that it found a thread that it could not delete. I googled the threat which led me to the 8-step thread. Really sorry that I did not write down the name of the threat and since I finished the 8-steps, my threat history in Symantec is blank now and shows no history!

Here are the 3 logs attached as instructed by the thread. So far when I've been using my laptop today, there hasn't been a problem with any notifications of a threat.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to review my logs.

Is Symantec Norton Antivirus running and updating correctly? Is your computer running correctly? You are missing some critical Microsoft Updates like XP Service Pack 3 and many related updates. Do you know how to run Windows Updates?

Hi Tmagic650:
I ran the windows updates last night. Would I run a log (and how) so that you can see what updates I now have?
And sorry for such a newbie question but how do I know if my copmuter/Norton Antivirus is running/updating correctly? I haven't noticed anything strange since I did the 8-step.

Well the mbam log shows the you have XP Service Pack 2 installed. It should indicate Service Pack 3, but if you are running normally, you should be ok. You can open Internet Explorer, and go to Tools, Windows Updates. Choose Custom and download all updates checked, including any optional and hardware updates when you have time

The update problem is because malware has disabled the Security Center. You will need help removing it.

To see which Windows Updates you have:
Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> CHECK 'show updates' at the top.

The updates will be listed on the lower part of the screen in date sequence.

thanks Tmagic and Bobbye for your help. I ran the automatic updates but it shows that Service Pack 2 was installed, not 3, and subsequent to the Service Pack 2 installation, there were numerous Security Update for Windows XP that do not show anything about Service Pack 2.

Yes, we know that you have Service Pack 2 installed. You need to install Service Pack 3, and there may a need for some updates to be done before you see Service Pack 3 in the updates list

Sorry, but I don't understand why the emphasis is being put on 'updates' here. You have SP2 and while SP3 is recommended, it is NOT mandatory. And IF you decided to get SP3, it would include the update released between SP2 and when SP3 was released. After installing SP3, you can check the current updates you have gotten and compare what has been issued since SP3 was released.

But I'm not understanding what problem you are trying to tell us about:

Main question: Are you SURE it was Norton advising you of a threat?
1.. Apparently you had a malware entry that Norton found but couldn't remove. Unfortunately, you can't tell us what it was.
I googled the threat
Check your History for sites you visited doing the search.
2. Have you scan with the AV again? Threat history us blank so this would surely help to identify what it may find.
3. What problems are you having with the system (other than finding the Norton 'threat history blank?
So far when I've been using my laptop today, there hasn't been a problem with any notifications of a threat.
4. Has it occurred to you that the threats could have been removed?
5. Have you checked the functions in the Security Center to see if they are working?
Control Panel> Security Center

This thread has been misdirected to discussion of Windows Updates. Handle 1-5 first.

Bobbye,
sometimes critical Windows updates have not been properly applied to a Windows computer, therefore leaving it more vulnerable to malware attacks. While XP SP3 is not mandatory, not having it tells us that many critical updates may need to be installed... Also, other posts in this thread may have mulitple problems not directly related to virus and malware removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back