Audi infotainment system informs owners of unpaid options

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: It seems more and more these end users cannot reliably own anything. Many game and software developers have moved to games/software-as-a-service models (GaaS and SaaS, respectively). Manufacturers could apply the same idea to anything requiring firmware. We live in a time where a company has more control over our purchased devices than we do.

A car owner recently posted a video showing that this philosophy could be bleeding over into the automotive industry. On the r/mildlyinfuriating subreddit, the user posted a video showing how at least one button on the dash of his Audi Q4 E-Tron does not work because he had not paid for it.

The control in question is labeled "Sync" and is tied to the air conditioning system. It is used to toggle Audi's tri-zone climate control. Instead of simply not working, the button spits out a message on the infotainment center's screen saying, "Note: The function has not been purchased."

The Drive notes that in the US and UK, tri-zone climate control comes standard on Audi vehicles. However, in the user's home country of Denmark, it's a $758 add-on feature. The owner did not pay for it because he did not expect to use it, but he was surprised to see that fact pop up on the screen.

The post received nearly 120,000 upvotes in the last two weeks with thousands of comments — many of them snarky jabs at Audi for bringing microtransactions to cars. The message does not contain an option to purchase the feature, but there is no reason it couldn't. Manufacturers often release over-the-air updates to their vehicles to add functionality to them. So there is no reason they couldn't change the firmware to enable such a feature.

It raises the question of whether we will start seeing future vehicles with a list of options that we can purchase after the initial sale. A more important question is whether carmakers will start pushing subscription-based services that were once basic features of their vehicles.

Commenters on the post joke about paying to turn on airbags, but a more logical application would be turning once-standard features, like air conditioning, into subscription services. It sounds ridiculous, but it doesn't seem so far-fetched if you consider that many game and software developers have moved toward GaaS and SaaS models. There isn't anything holding carmakers back from doing this other than it's so far been untested waters. Nobody wants to suffer the public outrage at being the first.

"You will own nothing, and you will be happy."

Permalink to story.

Toyota does it with their remote app... When you buy a new Toyota, you get remote start and remote unlock, etc - but only for a year. After the year, you need to pay - or you can't use it any more.

Don't see why they won't eventually apply this to lots of other "options"... heated steering wheel, seat warmer, etc...

Toyota does it with their remote app... When you buy a new Toyota, you get remote start and remote unlock, etc - but only for a year. After the year, you need to pay - or you can't use it any more.

Don't see why they won't eventually apply this to lots of other "options"... heated steering wheel, seat warmer, etc...

Same thing for Land Rovers.

The car costs over $70,000 and they want $130 per year to use their app to control the car!!

That’s a MERCEDES MBUX in the thumbnail
Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to find rights-free images of satisfactory quality. So we do our best to find something that is generic enough to pass for a general image related to the subject material. That one focused on the infotainment system without showing any logos, so I rolled with it. Damn good eye though.

Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to find rights-free images of satisfactory quality. So we do our best to find something that is generic enough to pass for a general image related to the subject material. That one focused on the infotainment system without showing any logos, so I rolled with it. Damn good eye though.

I have a Mercedes S class so it is almost instinctive to spot the mismatch.

Good, I'd like to see my entire next car sold this way, $0 down plus an opensource firmware replacement and I'll have a free car.

This started a long time ago with satellite radio in cars. You got the first 3 months free and then were given the option to subscribe. But paying for hardware that's already there and basically doing nothing but turning a relay on is beyond ridiculous. I hope all of these get hacked. Soon it won't be a tune for more power, but a tune to unlock all features permanently. This is why physical buttons and knobs are still better than menu driven touchscreens (as long as they're directly connected).

There is a MB logo on the grill of the car in the infotainment screen.

This should be illegal.

Well,

They just voted yes in the EU parlement to add something like a black box into new build cars, that would trigger in the event of a rapid slowdown for the course of 6 seconds.

Its not used yet by insurance company's, but it will be in the future.

Well,

They just voted yes in the EU parlement to add something like a black box into new build cars, that would trigger in the event of a rapid slowdown for the course of 6 seconds.

Its not used yet by insurance company's, but it will be in the future.
Many cars have had digital diagnostics for years now and I've seen occasional (US) stories about stored values such as max speed being used in criminal prosecutions, to deny warranty coverage, etc.

That's why saas and similar are very bad for the idea of ownership. Amount of money people paying for things they do not own and often do not need is crazy, and corporations loves it. People just bleeds money, turning into modern era slaves...

Not sure you can call it microtransactions when something needs to be physically fitted to the car.

Audi! I purchased an A5 recently and was disappointed to see the navigation map was seriously out of date. The dealer wanted $1500 to up date my map! Audi never disappoints - never missing an opportunity to get their hand in your pocket.

Not sure you can call it microtransactions when something needs to be physically fitted to the car.
But it doesn't.... all it needs is a firmware update.
Audi! I purchased an A5 recently and was disappointed to see the navigation map was seriously out of date. The dealer wanted $1500 to up date my map! Audi never disappoints - never missing an opportunity to get their hand in your pocket.
Ouch... that's crazy... usually, it's simply a matter of loading a DVD (or USB key) and waiting a few minutes...

I remember my mother's Lexus had the same issue - they wanted over $1000 to update... but... one of the techs told me that there was a "secret" DVD-ROM in the trunk where you could update the map - and to search the net for the DVD...

Sure enough, after a Google search, and a few minutes waiting on a download and my DVD-burner, I was able to update the map myself.

Last edited:
This started a long time ago with satellite radio in cars. You got the first 3 months free and then were given the option to subscribe. But paying for hardware that's already there and basically doing nothing but turning a relay on is beyond ridiculous. I hope all of these get hacked. Soon it won't be a tune for more power, but a tune to unlock all features permanently. This is why physical buttons and knobs are still better than menu driven touchscreens (as long as they're directly connected).
There' sa big difference between something that's an extra, added value from a third party company (like satellite radio) and something that is/was/should be/etc. a basic built-in function of the vehicle itself. Paying for remote access is a grey area imho, it's a basic part of the car but it uses something beyond the car which would necessarily involve a third party outside company, so to me it feels like lojack where you understand there is both a built-in pre-paid part and an outside subscription part.

Back