Audible and Apple dissolve longstanding audiobook exclusivity deal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Audible and Apple recently dissolved a longstanding exclusivity agreement that made Audible the sole supplier of audiobooks on iTunes.

In November 2015, the German Publishers and Booksellers Association filed a complaint with the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office over concerns that the two powerhouses were using their dominant position in the market to stifle competition.

After mulling over the issue for more than a year, the two sides on January 5 agreed to disband the partnership.

The exclusivity agreement dates back to 2003, some five years before Amazon purchased Audible for $300 million. As per the deal, Apple was required to source audiobooks exclusively from Audible and Audible was not allowed to supply its content to other digital platforms.

Audible is now the world’s largest seller and producer of downloadable audiobooks and other spoken-word content.

Andreas Mundt, president of the German Federal Cartel Office, said that Apple will now have the opportunity to purchase digital audiobooks from other suppliers.

The European Commission said in a press release published earlier today that it welcomes an agreement to end all exclusivity obligations regarding audiobook supply and distribution between Audible and Apple, adding that the move is likely to improve competition in the European downloadable audiobook market. Mundt echoed similar sentiments, noting that it will enable a wider range of offers and ultimately, lower prices for consumers.

Satisfied with the outcome, the German Federal Cartel Office has closed its investigation.

Permalink to story.

"Audible was not allowed to supply its content to other digital platforms."
So what exactly is Amazon?

"Audible was not allowed to supply its content to other digital platforms."
So what exactly is Amazon?

The owner of audible? Amazonn = Audible.
What he meant was, why didn't Amazon count as another digital platform? I can buy and play Audible audiobooks through my Echo and not give Apple a dime.If we trust the above, the iTunes store could only sell audiobooks through Audible. That doesn't sound like the best deal for Apple, even though you still have plenty of sources for audiobooks on iOS . I don't use iTunes, can anyone confirm?

What he meant was, why didn't Amazon count as another digital platform? I can buy and play Audible audiobooks through my Echo and not give Apple a dime.If we trust the above, the iTunes store could only sell audiobooks through Audible. That doesn't sound like the best deal for Apple, even though you still have plenty of sources for audiobooks on iOS . I don't use iTunes, can anyone confirm?
Yep. You can buy the audible books straight from the Amazon app. I'm guessing that got renegotiated after (or during) the Amazon acquisition of Audible.

Because its not another platform if they are owned by the same company! The money goes back to the same bank account.
So now hopefully the play store and itunes and so on can also get a piece of the pie?

Because its not another platform if they are owned by the same company! The money goes back to the same bank account.
So now hopefully the play store and itunes and so on can also get a piece of the pie?
But Amazon didn't own them when they made the bargain. Also, I seriously doubt Amazon and Audible share a bank account. That is rarely how large corporations with multiple holdings work.

Back