Avast don't like portable apps?

learninmypc

I was installing the portable version of Seamonkey for a friend but Avast kept popping up killing Seamonkey. How do I get around that?TIA:)

You have to ALLOW it. ALL programs on a portable (ie removable) media are suspect - - that's a sign of a good A/V.

Like to recommend that you get some stability by NOT using portable applications installed on removable media.
This will give you confidence that your system/AV and data are all sane and usable.

Standalone / Portable applications have to be built differently than normal programs
(basically statically linking all the DLLs at compile time) and if not done very carefully, then there can be references to shared DLLs that cause problems at runtime. The other issue is to avoid all configuration options via the Windows registry.

Personally, I load program installers on a thumb drive and use that when I need a program on another system.
During the install, I can then perform and immediate update to make the active program current on the new machine.

Thank you very much. The main reason I was using them was fearing my XP PRO
might die unexpectedly & I'd lose my bookmarks. That XP is no longer online .
I'm now back to using the regular FF & SeaMonkey browsers.

Bookmarks are easily found, backed up and restored.

The are relative to your login %userprofile% and the App Data for the browser in question; eg
My Mozilla bookmarks are at
%userprofile%\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{profile name>\bookmarkbackups\

Mozilla saves them as *.json files

Thank you very much. The main reason I was using them was fearing my XP PRO
might die unexpectedly & I'd lose my bookmarks. That XP is no longer online .
I'm now back to using the regular FF & SeaMonkey browsers.
  1. xmarks: well these days also there are many solutions for using online bookmark sync. one good one that supports multiple browsers is xmarks. it works for firefox, chrome, safari, internet explorer. all your bookmarks will be the same in all browsers. or when using a browser not on your computer you can login to teh web interface to access your bookmarks.
  2. google bookmarks: is also a great solution. you can find an extension for most browsers, access them online, and if using Google chrome browser and chrome sync feature then everything will be in sync in all chrome browsers you use.

Additionally:
firefox add-on which can export bookmarks/data = febe 7.1.0
firefox add-on which can create a single installer file from febe = cleo 5.0.1

Back