Avengers: Endgame smashes box office records

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Avengers: Endgame has become the first film in history to surpass $1 billion in its opening weekend and could dethrone Avatar as the highest-grossing film of all time. Were you able to see it this weekend?

Disney on Sunday said the Marvel Studios film generated an estimated $350 million domestically and $859 million internationally although as of writing, Variety is reporting $356 million in North America and $866 million overseas. Final numbers from Disney are expected later today.

Avatar, by comparison, needed 19 days to cross the $1 billion mark and was the only film of 2009 to do so. In its total box office run, the movie managed to gross nearly $2.8 billion. Avengers: Infinity War, the previous record holder, reached $1 billion in earnings in 11 days.

Marvel is now responsible for the two biggest box office launches ever with Infinity War and Endgame.

The film’s performance next weekend should go a long way in forecasting whether or not it’ll be able to trump Avatar as the highest-grossing box office hit ever. I’ve spoken to at least one person that was unable to get tickets this past weekend and according to Comscore’s PostTrak survey, nearly 30 percent of those who already saw the film in North America expressed a desire to see it in theaters again.

Lead image courtesy Tyler Olson via Shutterstock. Second photo via Getty Images.

Permalink to story.

It was pretty good, without spoiling anything it was more or less a victory lap of a movie, the ones leading up to it were better. It's realistically only about a 70%-80% movie, but our culture of trends and staying popular will rate it to the upper 90's.
Still, I hope they pull off Godzilla 2 well as that's the one I am most excited to see this year.

Last edited:
I just cannot get the image out of my mind of Bob Iger sitting in Disney corporate headquarters repeatedly saying "My Precious." :laughing:

I plan on seeing it, but only after it comes out on disk. My wife and I are no longer willing to pay for seeing most movies in the theater due to bad experiences even in theaters with the best sound isolation and equipment.

I have never been one to go to see movies on opening nights and I imagine there are a lot of people out there like me. I just don't enjoy being in large crowded theaters. I could definitely see this movie smashing the record. That being said, I obviously haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely intend on doing it within the next week or two when the crowds die down a bit.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
I have never been one to go to see movies on opening nights and I imagine there are a lot of people out there like me. I just don't enjoy being in large crowded theaters. I could definitely see this moving smashing the record. That being said, I obviously haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely intend on doing it within the next week or two when the crowds die down a bit.
Yeah, me too.

I watched it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll understand if people has issues with it, but I had a great time, when Capt. said "Avengers... assemble" I had a rush of joy and excitement, haven't had that since I was a kid watching Power Rangers in the theater.

How can they compare a move a DECADE later in straight dollars? LOL. With theater prices skyrocketing, plus inflation, plus population growth, it is much easier to pass old amounts. This is like saying Endgame "smashes records" even though Star Wars from 1977 destroyed this movie in perspective in its first weekend (don't know, just example).

Why aren't these numbers adjusted for inflation? There are also more people alive than 10 years ago, so why aren't numbers compensated for population growth? Let's look at percentages - the number of people versus how many tickets were sold in theaters the first weekend (some may watch more than once, which counts).

I plan to watch it tomorrow at AMC thanks to $5 AMC Tuesday. Just regular screen, no IMAX or 3D (wife hates 3D). Probably could have paid a little bit more for IMAX.

We shall see!

Good movie, but not the best in the franchise.
How can they compare a move a DECADE later in straight dollars? LOL. With theater prices skyrocketing, plus inflation, plus population growth, it is much easier to pass old amounts. This is like saying Endgame "smashes records" even though Star Wars from 1977 destroyed this movie in perspective in its first weekend (don't know, just example).

Why aren't these numbers adjusted for inflation? There are also more people alive than 10 years ago, so why aren't numbers compensated for population growth? Let's look at percentages - the number of people versus how many tickets were sold in theaters the first weekend (some may watch more than once, which counts).
They should count ticket sales and not profit, two regular tickets set me back over $30, I remember seeing Avatar in 3D for less than $15 a ticket, or I might not have paid for that as my friend worked at the theaters... But anyways, the real metric they should be looking at is tickets sales, not profit.

In other news inflation exists.... Also our population continues to grow... Which makes these new best movies ever made even more of a joke....

Top movies adjusted with inflation.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026442468/

1. Gone with the Wind (1939)

Passed | 238 min | Drama, History, Romance
Rate
97 Metascore

A manipulative woman and a roguish man conduct a turbulent romance during the American Civil War and Reconstruction periods.

Directors: Victor Fleming, George Cukor, Sam Wood | Stars: Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Thomas Mitchell, Barbara O'Neil

Votes: 262,770 | Gross: $198.68M
Watch Now
From $3.99 on Prime Video

Adjusted: ~3.4-3.8 Billion $
Real Worldwide Box Office: 400.2 Mio $
Budget: 3.85 Mio $

Because that's what the movie industry cares about... PROFIT... they don't care about adjusting for inflation / population /etc... They care about how much they made vs how much they spent....

That's why every big budget movie is a sequel or remake, etc... You can't gamble that much money on something that has a high percentage of failure.

Saying that, I thoroughly enjoyed Endgame and will probably end up seeing it again :)

If you want an original film, look to the low-budget arena - and the various film festival entrants....

Just more crap to add onto the pile if misinformation and information manipulation. Marvel and Disney in the last decade have taken serious advantage of numbers and spouted out just plain garbage which is truly pathetic. Its like the crap with Black Panther and talking about how that was the first time a black super hero was truly successful in the box office. WTF, so I guess the Blade trilogy, with its massive success at the time, didn't mean anything? So many improperly quoted items we could be here for weeks. Yes, as others have said, the film needs to be viewed when making such comparisons taking into consideration inflation.

There are always people who like to bring up Gone with the Wind ignoring the fact that that was in theaters for 4 years, as it was literally the only way to see it, and it had 8 re-releases. The reason they go by the totals is because when you start taking other things into account, like inflation, population and ticket sales then things get messy. The media market was very different in 1939 also. Today you have things like VOD, streaming services, broadcast rights and digital and physical sales that weren't around back then.

There are always people who like to bring up Gone with the Wind ignoring the fact that that was in theaters for 4 years, as it was literally the only way to see it, and it had 8 re-releases. The reason they go by the totals is because when you start taking other things into account, like inflation, population and ticket sales then things get messy. The media market was very different in 1939 also. Today you have things like VOD, streaming services, broadcast rights and digital and physical sales that weren't around back then.

Yup they just sound like grumpy old men.

One of my local theaters was running what they call "Discount Tuesdays" which they discount all tickets all day to just $6. Normally it would have been $12 for myself and the second person I was going with but thanks to AT&T Thanks I got the second ticket for free.

Back