Averatec N3400 13.3" Ultraportable Notebook Review

Con: How annoying would it be to have the a touch pad where you keep accidentally accessing email or media player... aaarrhhh! I already have a hard time with the vertical and horizontal scroll on my touch pad and don't get me started on the left-click on single tap option for the touch pad. When single tap is enabled I am constantly clicking icons to run stuff, especially when I navigate menus.

Combine this with poor battery life for a portable laptop and I can't see much use for this. If a laptop is always going to be on a desk attached to power then why not get a light weight 15 inch (or bigger if you need a desktop replacement) laptop, these days it is getting easier to find a light 15 inch laptops.

Pro: exapandable to 8GB of DDR2, I use a lot of memory because I tend to run multiple virtual machines during development and testing of networked software. I can see reasons for more memory. My current laptop has 4GB and I keep running out.

The touchpad functions need to be activated (holding down on the touchpad corner for 2+ seconds), so you won't accidentally initiate the extra functions, which is good, but it also makes the use of the shortcuts more nuisance than a practical affair.

The battery life is definitely the worst feature in the N3400. It's still somewhat decent at 2+ hours, but certainly not up to par with other modern thin and light offerings, probably because of the more power hungry hardware and small battery.

I like it. I wish more laptop makers would follow suit. The dvd drive adds unecesarry weight to the laptop. Nobody really uses them with their laptop on the run. Make your laptop thin, and trendy looking and its hard to miss.

Looking for a second model with better battery life before I can make the move.

This is a good laptop. Its lightweght , thin and portable. It should have an option of 8 cell battery to last longer.

computers light. runs fairly smoothly. decent for what i use it for which isnt much but definitely consider buying something a little more substantial if you use it for more than just checking email and schoolwork.

HOWEVER. Trigem runs an inefficient system.

Offer a one year warranty? my motherboard needed replaced due to their lack of effort put into building it correctly. Yet i had to not only pay to ship it out and not get it back for 3 weeks, it also took 2 weeks just to get ahold of the one person customer service. And when i finally did they just told me to wait for an email that never came. Then after contacting them again a week later I had to refuse to be put on hold or hung up on so I could give them the information they needed to give me an RMA number.

In my opinion, if the problem is not the responsibility of the customer then the company should do whatever needs done and be happy about it to make sure youre satisfied. TRIGEM is not this kind of company.

Its a cheap computer tha performs well, but you pay for what you get and that isnt customer service.

Back