Back to Land Lines? Cell Phones May Be Dead by 2015

learninmypc

What do a cell phone, a laptop and an electric car have in common?
Click here for Lithium Slideshow
All three use batteries made with lithium — the lightest metal in nature. About five grams is in an average laptop, about half a gram in a cell phone. Surprisingly, what keeps your devices charged and wireless can also affect your brain: It’s an active ingredient in drugs used to treat manic depression. Batteries using lithium have twice the capacity of traditional nickel cadmium batteries, creating a “lithium boom” in several places around the world as these technologies become more ubiquitous. In China, cell phone sales were up 57 percent last year; in India, cell phone use is expected to double by 2014.http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/03/01/Cell-Phones-May-Be-Dead-by-2015.aspx#page1

So..... Long lithium futures???? This is really the only thing I can gather from this article. No real analysis, no substantial data, just a series of general statements with a Power Point.

Lucky for me that I've always kept my landline. I'm puzzled that a lot of people seem to be unaware of the advantages of old-fashioned landlines and old-fashioned answering machines. Everyone seems to have forgotten that on 9/11 cell phones didn't work in New York.

Damn this would make my day. As damaging as it would be to our lifestyle, I hate batteries and try very hard not to depend on them. The only way we will be forced to use different tech is to run out of our current tech. It is sad but that is how innovation stagnates.

Back