Back to Overclock - Opinions needed

Unfortunately has been few years with no PC rig since I started working and carry notebook wherever I go. But I do remember the good old days where It was great to tweak the rig and squezze every Mhz our of every component. Unfortunately its not that much fun with a notebook :p

I have most of my components selected :

MSI Z97 MPOWER Max AC
IntelCore i7-4790K
Cooler Master V8 GTS
Corsair HX 1050
980 AMP!
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
SSDOCZ VERTEX 460A 480GB
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

But Im wondering if this a good selection of motherboard / PSU / Memory

What do you guys think, considering I didnt overclock for quite few years now. I want easy but rock stable motherboard overclock..

Did you also consider getting a water cooler instead of air cooling?

As for the board, Z97 OC formula is a pretty good replacement.

I did watercooling in the past but Its a hassle every time you want to take things out... Air for me, ATM :p

ASRock Z97 OC Formula
IntelCore i7-4790K
Noctua nh-d15
Corsair HX 750
980 AMP!
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
SSD OCZ VERTEX 460A 480GB
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB

Hope to get them all next wk!

Already have it, Corsair Graphite Series 600T Arctic White Steel. ;)
Really good case. I was looking at their line of cases and its pretty good for someone that started just with memories I was impressed.

I have to say, unless if you're a pro overclocker and using LN2, this won't be possible. But at least you know the board and CPU are able to withstand this kind of stress.

Personally I'd skip the massive air cooler route and get an AIO water cooling solution, or a smaller HSF. Intel CPU's aren't very generous with giving you high overclocks, so adding so much weight and hassle using that Noctura is kind of pointless, but do what you want. Glad to see you dropped the 1K PSU and went higher than 8GB! Whatever you do, it will be a nice system.

Back