Backblaze data shows Hitachi and Seagate as most and least reliable hard drives, respectively

Jos

Staff

backblaze

Over the past few months, cloud storage provider Backblaze has been looking at statistics generated from the open-source Backblaze Storage Pods powering their business, and chronicling their findings in a series of blog posts. So far they shared their insights on how long a consumer hard drive should last and whether enterprise grade units really do last longer. Now they’re back with reliability data on specific brands and models.

The data is based on more than 25,000 units in active service from 15 different consumer-grade hard drives from Seagate, Hitachi, and Western Digital. As noted by the company, their purchasing decisions are largely driven by price, but it’s in their best interests to ensure that it buys reliable hard drives too, as it takes considerable time and effort to pull a failed drive, slot in a new one, and rebuild the RAID array.

backblaze

For most of the last four years, Seagate and Hitachi have offered the best price-per-GB ratio, and also the starkest contrast when it comes to reliability. As seen in the graph above, Hitachi drives are by far the most reliable with less than a 2% failure rate, while Seagate fared the worst with an annual failure rate of 8-9%.

Things don’t get any better for Seagate after three years with failure rates reaching over 25% while Hitachi sits at just over 3%. Meanwhile, Backblaze lists the annual failure rate of the Western Digital drives at around 3% and after three years of operation they fare just slightly worse than Hitachi at 5.2%.

backblaze

In terms of specific models, the two best drives were the Hitachi GST Deskstar 5K3000 and Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000, with a 0.9% annual failure rate over more than two years. In fact, Backblaze claims if the price were right, they would be buying nothing but Hitachi drives. How’s that for a seal of approval.

On the other side of the equation, the old 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 was the worst offender with a 25% annual failure rate, and even the newer 3TB model has a pretty high failure rate at 9.8% per year. Furthermore, Seagate's Barracuda LP 2TB and WD's Green 3TB proved to be so unreliable that they were left out of the picture. According to Backblaze, they “start accumulating errors as soon as they are put into production”, which the company notes might have something to do the high vibration environment of their storage pods.

Lastly it should be noted that the company also uses Samsung and Toshiba hard drives, but Backblaze doesn’t have a statistically significant number of them installed yet to generate reliable numbers.

Head over to Backblaze’s website for a look at the complete report and hard drive models tested.

Permalink to story.

HA, indeed had a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drive that failed on me after 2 years of very casual use. in fact, the first day I got it, and SMART had already showed 68% life left on the drive. goes to show you.

although I am surprised to see WD Green 3TB to be on the un-reliable list. I currently have it as my media storage drive.

Yup, never liked Seagate. Usually go with WD for price and stability...

Had two Seagate drives die on me. This was a few years back and at the time I thought they were quality. Jokes on me!

Lastly it should be noted that the company also uses Samsung and Toshiba hard drives, but Backblaze doesn’t have a statistically significant number of them installed yet to generate reliable numbers.
Doesn't help that Samsung sold their HDD line to Seagate, who in turn rebranded their less popular drives to in order to try and bleed off some extra inventory... Funny how the F3 1TB and F4 2TB samsung drives went from 4-5 star reviews on many retail sites to 1 star upon this change, and that was before people caught on to the rebranding.

I hope they pick up more toshiba drives and do a similar analysis as I've been purchasing more of those lately; down the road I'd like to see how they stand up to 3 years of abuse.

Too bad, have had many good Seagate drives over last 30 years. Sorry to hear this. Last drives purchased were WD, but I should look into the Hitachi drives. Things change.

Yikes and I just bought a 4TB Seagate drive, knew it was a bad idea. Definitely going to give Hitachi a look next time I'm in the market for new drives.

I can't believe how unreliable Seagate's 1.5TB model is!! It failed on me after about a year, but gave me problems way before that. I sent it in to have it repaired, and the unit Seagate sent back to me started experiencing issues about 3 months later... Stay away from their drives like the plague.

Just checked and noted that very popular WD drive sold on NewEgg had 20% 'single star' reviews (DOAs and early failures). My guess is that the HD manufacturers are betting on cloud backup as part of their solution for the customer. Put whatever you want in the cloud, use one of these trashy drives, if it breaks, get another. This is like Ford/GM relying on Avis/Enterprise to 'satisfy' the customer

Unfortunately, (at least for me), I have none of the drives tested, in active use.

I suppose it's too much to expect from a mass storage endeavor, to be able to publish results on lower capacity drives.

With that said, the WD "Caviar Blue" , 160GB SATA 150,in my eMachines will be 10(!) this coming February. Works as good as new, BTW.

Further along, there are no specs on WD's "Caviar Black" offerings for comparison, a popular choice for home storage.

It should be reassuring to all who use cloud storage, that the people in charge of your data, basically grab whichever drives they can get their hands on most cheaply. They've earned my trust with that course of action, that's for sure, (or not).

I sometimes measure the quality of a manufacturer's entire line, (right or wrong, fair or unfair), against the representative products I have owned of theirs.

That ethic stops with Tosiiba however. They made some of the most durable, long lived, VCRs I ever owned. But, their DVD drives, (for me), were plagued with failures.

I like the, "OMG, I'm throwing all my XXXX drives away hysteria", and "I knew it all along", contributions to the thread as well. Gives it some "flavor".

Like Chicken Little said, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"......:eek:

Last edited:
In my experience Samsung hard drives had the highest failure rate. I had a WD Black 2TB drive that failed after 2 years of use. I replaced it with a 4TB Seagate. After reading this article, I'm am doubting my purchase now.

I can't believe how unreliable Seagate's 1.5TB model is!! It failed on me after about a year, but gave me problems way before that. I sent it in to have it repaired, and the unit Seagate sent back to me started experiencing issues about 3 months later... Stay away from their drives like the plague.
Another in that club...

In my experience Samsung hard drives had the highest failure rate. I had a WD Black 2TB drive that failed after 2 years of use. I replaced it with a 4TB Seagate. After reading this article, I'm am doubting my purchase now.
Always a "prudent" course of action, to second guess yourself upon actions you have no recourse from. (Other than throwing away a working drive, and replacing it with another that may get a bad review in the future).

Sadly, I'm not in the medical profession, or I'd give you a script for some sort of benzodiazipine, which you so obviously need.

I'm actually curious how many of those Seagates were bad from the start. I just built an 8-drive array with 4TB units and it took me 24 drives, testing and RMAing them to get 8 that passed muster. It's been running good since but I was unable to get 4TB Hitachi drives at the time. Gota love RAID 6 and I have another server with 2TB versions going on 7 years now. Again though all of the drives were tested before installation and my problem with all of them, is shipping OEM, so many turn up horrible. And even shipping retail versions isn't always a ton better... Sad.

How the mighty have fallen. Seagate used to have a 5 year warranty program and their old 250 and 500gb drives worked great.
Suddenly the warranty dropped to 2 years and the drives started to fail left right and center.

Western digital on the other hand used to be bad around the 40-160Gb era and now they are back on their game for a change.

I can't wait for larger SSD's so consumers wont need to lose all their data every 2 years or less.

Doesn't change my good luck mileage with Seagate. Although I've not had anything over 1TB either.
I can't wait for larger SSD's so consumers wont need to lose all their data every 2 years or less.
From what I hear, using SSD's will not change the need for backups.

I'm running two Hitachi 4 terabyte hard drives in each box so this good to hear. What's surprising is the high failure rate for Seagate's internal hard drives especially since their external units are solid (at least they have been for me).

Just checked and noted that very popular WD drive sold on NewEgg had 20% 'single star' reviews (DOAs and early failures).
I would never buy a hard drive that had to be delivered by post. Don't know if they played hackey sack or football or hockey with your parcel in the warehouse or in delivery. I also check the drive specs at the manufacturers web site. Seagate drives in general are not rated heavy operation (load/unload cycles, hours of use per day, etc) compared to Western Digital (two brands I am familiar with). My dad has had two 21/2 yr. old Green drives die (2 yr. warranty) recently, I use the WD Black (5 yr. warranty), only drive I have had fail was a 600 GB velociraptor-an enterprise drive LOL. Other than burned years ago by 2 IBM Deathstars. Not bad for approx. 10 years, although most drives were replaced by larger capacity drives. Up to 10 TB and an SSD in the box now. Storage needs grows like my waist seems to...slowly, but surely

I would never buy a hard drive that had to be delivered by post. Don't know if they played hackey sack or football or hockey with your parcel in the warehouse or in delivery. I also check the drive specs at the manufacturers web site. Seagate drives in general are not rated heavy operation (load/unload cycles, hours of use per day, etc) compared to Western Digital (two brands I am familiar with). My dad has had two 21/2 yr. old Green drives die (2 yr. warranty) recently, I use the WD Black (5 yr. warranty), only drive I have had fail was a 600 GB velociraptor-an enterprise drive LOL. Other than burned years ago by 2 IBM Deathstars. Not bad for approx. 10 years, although most drives were replaced by larger capacity drives. Up to 10 TB and an SSD in the box now. Storage needs grows like my waist seems to...slowly, but surely

I actually experienced that once with a hard drive I bought on Ebay around 2002 or something, I heard a loud thump on my door, and when I looked I saw the mailman walking away, my hard drive had just been delivered (thrown at my front porch).

Back