Backdoor Trojan for Windows ported to Mac OS

Emil

Staff

A Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for Windows, known as darkComet, has been ported to Mac OS X. The new backdoor Trojan is not yet finished, but it could be indicative of more underground programmers attempting to take advantage of Apple's growing market share. Here is an excerpt of the default text that the malware displays in the full screen window with the reboot button, courtesy of Sophos:

I am a Trojan Horse, so I have infected your Mac Computer. I know, most people think Macs can't be infected, but look, you ARE Infected! I have full controll over your Computer and I can do everything I want, and you can do nothing to prevent it. So, Im a very new Virus, under Development, so there will be much more functions when im finished.

The author of the Trojan refers to it as the BlackHole RAT, while security experts are calling it OSX/MusMinim-A, or MusMinim for short. "Black Hole" is already used by Irradiated to name a legitimate Mac security application which removes potentially sensitive information such as recently-used file lists, data left in the clipboard, and so on. MusMinim appears to have a mix of German and English in its user interface, as well as these functions:

• Placing text files on the desktop
  • Sending a restart, shutdown or sleep command
  • Running arbitrary shell commands
  • Placing a full screen window with a message that only allows you to click reboot
  • Sending URLs to the client to open a website
  • Popping up a fake "Administrator Password" window to phish the target

Starting late last year, Sophos has been pushing its free antivirus for Mac. The security company insists the numbers show malware is an increasing issue on the platform.

Permalink to story.

Haha, awesome! I hate all of the "more secure" arguments. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. No matter what architecture you have, the bits still twiddle the same.

O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Winboys, stand back and watch how the big boys do it! ;)

Whoaman said:
O my god. I just can't believe this could happen on my so perfect, precious and adorable Mac. This just can't be happening. Denial.... denial. Just as Nostradamus predicted - the end of the world is nigh!

Thankfully Apple is all over this inevitability and have been building in excellent seamless protection at the core level that will not perceptibly slow down the Mac nor constantly irritate the end-user like UAC etc etc. or push them to research or install endless third-party tools to try to combat it. The addition of the App Store is just one of many steps.

Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

Whoaman said:

0/10 troll effort. Make a new account and try again.

ramonsterns said:
Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Take care not to choke on the fumes while having your head stuck so far up your wind breaker.

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. :)~

Whoaman said:
ramonsterns said:
Whoa, man, Whoaman.

Just doing my best not to disappoint the stereotypical expectations of those here suffering from apple-envy. :)~

trollantrollantrollan

Actualy, just kidding. I didn't mean to call you a troll. After being on the internet long enough I can believe you *are* this stupid.

Princeton said:

I guess your definition of Troll is "isn't a head-over-heels Windows fanatic" . Otherwise, half these posts might fit the real definition nicely.

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

madboyv1 said:
No it isn't, someone could run off with it, taking whatever you were working on in the process. Heaven forbid you were smart and left a "If found please contact: " stickers/notes. Journalist portable type writers were even self enclosed in a carrying case... JUST ASKING to be taken. :)

lol.
wrong
i dont save my doc's on the desktop or even in the same room
but ninjas are every ware - so, no safe place ;)
the OS works fine and its almost 100% secure, even have scroll :)

This is still something where the User is at fault if they get infected rather than the 'malware' getting through the OS.

Whoaman said:
Princeton said:

I guess your definition of Troll is "isn't a head-over-heels Windows fanatic" . Otherwise, half these posts might fit the real definition nicely.

Also, I think you should consider picking-up a sense of humor. We would all benefit.

You're right. We all have Apple-Envy.

We all wish we had that much money to throw away too.

ramonsterns said:
Actualy, just kidding. I didn't mean to call you a troll. After being on the internet long enough I can believe you *are* this stupid.

Qualify that. Otherwise by definition you WOULD be a troll.

"a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community"

Perhaps for Princeton we should add " and isn't a Microsoft Windows fanboy".

Don't you feel like you're "slumming it", running your yap here with all the Windows users? Do you think you're going to enlighten us" to Apple superiority.?

In any event you opened the door to this line of discussion with this remark, :
We may be suffering with '"Apple envy", but IMHO, those who actually own Apples are probably suffering from penile envy, and to be precise, that would be Steve Job's penis.

Now, why don't you go run along and bang up your credit card with a Macbook "Air", (in your case a Macbook, "Hot Air"), grab a picture of Mr. Jobs for wallpaper, then do what "comes" naturally with it.

ramonsterns said:

Ahh but even some rudimentary math will show you this is not true. It's called Mac resale value. And this is really only one of many factors for TCO and ROI. Support is another. And there are many more.

Stupid would be to think that cost is only what you pay at the till.

Whoaman said:
ramonsterns said:

Ahh but even some rudimentary math will show you this is not true. It's called Mac resale value. And this is really only one of many factors for TCO and ROI. Support is another. And there are many more.

Stupid would be to think that cost is only what you pay at the till.

I do get support.

For free.

Right here on this website.

An' we don't bees knowin' nuffin' bout no Lemons, er I mean Apples. So, it's back to China fer U 'n yer Apple.

Anyway, I think an Apple trojan is a wonderful affirmation of Apple becoming viable in the marketplace. Unfortunately, it's also a big let down for those who confuse the lack of malware for product superiority. But then again, "see the crooks do care after all, and they're coming for your personal information. They want to get to know you better. You interests are their interests. Heart warming, isn't it?

Actually, most of the cranks that think they know it all about Apple are over in the "Adobe Photoshop Forums. The know absolutely nothing about computers, but everything about Apple. Does anybody else see the paradox there?

captaincranky said:
Don't you feel like you're "slumming it", running your yap here with all the Windows users? Do you think you're going to enlighten us" to Apple superiority.?

Naturally any generic pc tech rag will have a predominance of Windows users by ratio. I don't think that means all others should not take part and I don't think I need explain why.

Secondly, if one is going to dish it out then they'd better also learn to take it. Many of you take something as insignificant as a computer or OS far too seriously and attach your identities to it as if it is a limb on your body.

And apparently many of you do need en-lightening. Whether you can get blood from a stone is another matter.

Finally, I am platform agnostic to a large extent but enjoy debating and debunking the myths so many cling to concerning the different platforms.

We all owe a lot to Steve Jobs regardless of what Computer\OS\Phone\Tablet we choose as he is a major force behind getting everyone in the industry to "pull up their socks" and improve and innovate.

Regardless, Steve is just a human being like you or me with a family and friends etc. His health is obviously quite fragile at the moment and I wish him and all others in his situation the best.

captaincranky said:
An' we don't bees knowin' nuffin' bout no Lemons, er I mean Apples. So, it's back to China fer U 'n yer Apple.

lol :)

dem'thar China seems to gru all'dem dang 'puters now 'cept for da'brain. Kinda figures.

Back