Backing up PC games problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I recently bought DVD Decrypter to make backups of my PC games and I'm already having trouble with it. For example, I made a copy of GTA San Andreas for PC ( I know it's an old game, but it's the game I chose to try DVD Decrypter), and the copy seemed to be working fine. I was able to successfully install the game from the copied disc to the computer but when I clicked on the game icon on the desktop to play the game, I got this error message: "Original disc could not be found or authenticated". Im new to all the game backing up deal, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

you can't just play game backups, that's the whole point of DRM protection. there are technologies burned into the original copy of the game that prevents casual copying like Starforce and SecuROM. you might call it a backup but in reality it's just a copy. i'm pretty sure 90% of straight copied games will not play because the data is simply cloned to another form of blank media.

if you ask me, there's nothing wrong with copying a game you already own to keep for yourself, but you'll need to read up on how to do it correctly...

In order to play from a backup or copied disk your going to have to circumvent the DRM by using a crack. We cannot help you find the appropriate crack on this forum as not only can it help you but also enable others to play the game without owning the original. That is the major issue with backed up media, while you are allowed to make backups of what you own you cannot circumvent the DRM as this can enable piracy. Your best bet is to google around, just be aware that some of the sites you get info from might be somewhat shady :) .

@EXCellR8
Any idea on where to find the correct information about backing up games??

Well, I can't get too into detail on the process because it may be viewed as piracy, but basically you need software that is designed to "dump" the information off of a game disk; not just copy the contents. My favorite program is Alcohol 120% which can read a number of different blank media types.

When the sectors of the original game disk are dumped, it's put into a single image file, in which there are a number of formats. The most commonly used is the .iso file, which can contain UDF file systems etc. The image file is basically a virtual disk that you can burn directly to a physical disk. Some dumped games may work as is (i.e. with the original CD-key etc..) but some will not. DRM has come a long way since the dawn of the CD burner, so some games are a bit harder to crack.

Like Relic pointed out, 3rd parties create and upload game cracks to the internet; most usually contain some sort of trojan virus or malware. A crack, or "No-CD" is basically just modified executable that contains the code to bypass disk checking. We cannot tell you where to obtain them, and as a security warning I don't recommend that you use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back