Backing your data

andoyan

i am sorry if I am in the wrong category, but I couldn't fined the category close to what I am asking, which is how dose one back up all the data from hard drive, what I don't know is do you back it up to another hard drive or if you are using flash card, how do you determine how much of a data you have so to have the right flash card.
thanks for your help
Jon

First thing you have to look at is how much data do you have. If you hard drive is full of photo's, music or text documents exceeding the size of a dvd or two then the most convenient way is to use an external or internal hard drive just for storing these files. Then if your system or OS drive fails you won't have lost the important stuff. If it will all fit on a couple of DVD's then burning the files to rerecordable DVD's would be the easiest as you can update or add to these as your data files increase. You could also use a large flash drive in the same way.

On the other hand if you want to keep a full image of your hard drive, which can be restored in the event of your main drive failing then you will need some good back up software like True Image. This would need a spare hard drive, either internal or external. True image can be set to automatically take incrimental backups which just add additional or altered files to the back up, keeping the image up to date.

Back