Bad to mix Ram of different Manufaturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aximilator

Hey i have 2 different ram cards both are 512 mb and have not had any problems but have read in lots of places it is bad to mix them. Because they are different manufacturers does it matter?

Oops i forgot to add the names and such, here they are:

DIMM1: Hyundai HYMD564 646CP8JD43
DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L6423FTN-CCC

Field Value
Memory Module Properties
Module Name Hyundai HYMD564 646CP8JD43
Serial Number 04FF4095h
Module Size 512 MB (1 rank, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Hynix Semiconductor Inc.

and

Field Value
Memory Module Properties
Module Name Samsung M3 68L6423FTN-CCC
Serial Number F20185BAh
Module Size 512 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory Timings
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Memory Module Manufacturer
Company Name Samsung

I think that bout sums it all up if there is any more info you would like please let me know. i gave you everything i could find on them because i am trying to be as descriptive for you guys as possible to give as much info.
Thanks

I don't think mixing rams is bad but it can cause some problems if they don't completely match in specs.

Generally not a good idea to mix RAM vendors. But sometimes necessity if the mother of invention. As some older systems pass into obsolescence then finding matched or vendor approved RAM might proof either very expensive or impossible. Having at least one known stick that works would allow you to try out other brands. The simple equation being that if they are stable together then the vendor ID and chip maker is not an issue.
I would download Memtest86 and run it to be (close to) 100% sure -if it passes then you can rest easy. A quick cut and paste from one of my earlier threads....
-Download Memtest86+ here http://www.memtest.org/ then burn the .iso (after uncompressing) to CD with ImgBurn or burning software (needs to be bootable) OR download the executable for USB if your BIOS allows you to boot the system from USB
-If you have the RAM set at non-stock levels it would pay to set your BIOS to default settings.
-Power off. Remove your 3 known working RAM sticks and insert the new stick into DIMM 0 (the first DIMM slot)
-Reboot computer, change boot order to CD (or USB), save change, reboot.
-Memtest will load and test the module. Each pass takes around 10-15min to complete for 1Gb, run 7-10 passes minimum. Tests 2 and 5 within the pass are most likely to find errors and you can order loops of these tests in the options. If the RAM passes, stop the test and power off. If the RAM fails then stop the test and skip the next step
-Move the RAM stick to the 4th DIMM, reboot and repeat the test sequence.
-Stop the test when you're happy that the RAM is stable, power off.
-Insert your stable RAM back into it's slots
-Remove CD/USB, reset boot order, save changes, reboot.

For the most part, mixing RAM is ok. The computer I am on right now has 2 different sticks (mfr only).
I've been doing for over 15-20 years (even when RAM was expensive) and never had a problem.
If you have different speeds, your faster ram is only going to be as fast as the slower stick next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back