Bad_system_config_info vista

rmhughes0711

I have a Dell 1525 running Vista and have started receiving this BSOD. I am not able to boot into safe mode. What is going on?? Thanks for your help!

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000074

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

No. I think the following works in Vista as well. If not let me know.

Enabling Minidump Folder For Windows 7:

1. Go to the Control Panel, choose 'System And Security', and then click 'System', and then click the 'Advanced System Settings' link.

2. In the opened window, click the 'Advanced' tab and then inside the 'Startup And Recovery' frame, click the 'Settings' button.

3. In the opened 'Startup And Recovery' window, there is 'Write Debugging Information' section. You should set the combo-box in this section to 'Small memory dump', and then click 'ok' to confirm the change.

I can't do this because I cannot boot into safe mode or any mode for that matter. I attached the hard drive to an external enclosure so I could back it up but am unable to load windows.

I'll have to look and see. It came preloaded from Dell but I don't think they included an actual windows install disk, rather a "reload" of the factory image.

You may need to use those disks. 0x74 errors are caused by an error in the registry.

Don't use registry fixers, They cause more problems and fix very little.

Well, I have spent my fair share of time as a tech. I do not know if this has had any previous infections, however, I would not be surprised if it had. It belongs to my mom and she is more prone to click on things that she shouldn't!! :(

Have you considered slaving the harddrive to another system and run diagnostics, et.al. that way?

Back