Bandwidth, bandwidth and more bandwidth issues...

As the title suggests- I have issues.. Just moved out to the rural countryside and had to get a satelite setup for internet access. We got the 30GB package and after a WEEK, they claimed we hit our limit. Ok so back in city life we had a 25 Gig package on broadband and never had an issue with three of us on it. I downoaded the Networx bandwidth tracking package and while good it has issues.. so heres my Question: What software package OR hardware device is available out there to track usage for a family of three wireless Inspirons and a lan cabled IBM Business computer? I can't install any software on the business computer so I set mine up to monitor router traffic hoping to capture all traffic - but this only works if my computer is on. Is there an easier way? As I'm not a techie please use very simple words and suggestions. Thanks

Having 30GB a month sounds pretty good to me, my parents live in a rural area and have 5! a month limit. They are through Dish, there aren't a whole lot of sat internet providers in the US, and they are all pretty similar in usages and charges from what I recall. Dish has a way to track your usage on their website, I assume HughesNet, WildBlue, whatever things are calling themselves now (essentially in the US at least, you are going through something that is either those, or is owned by those). So, you should be able to watch your usage in somewhat real time on their website.

If you live outside of the US or have some provider I am unaware of, I would be they also have a website interface that will let you track. The only downside to this is that you have to take their word for your usage, but that is pretty easily determined if you can control your devices for a short period of time and do a download test (grab a linux ISO at 650 megs). It should match up, if not, then you are getting scammed by your ISP and you should google to see if anyone else is having the same issues, this is HIGHLY unlikely though.

Bottom line, you are overthinking it, just use your ISPs counter on their website, if you think their's is wrong, post back with some details on why.

Back