Batman: Arkham Knight minimum specs amended after multiple performance issues on PC

midian182

Staff member

batman arkham knight amd batman arkham knight batman arkham nvidia gameworks

The much anticipated release of Batman: Arkham Knight has been far from smooth for PC owners, especially for those with AMD-powered rigs. The game's minimum specs were changed only hours before launch, seemingly as a response to performance issues with AMD hardware. The new specifications called for a Radeon graphics card requiring 3GB of memory, as opposed to Nvidia's minimum of 2GB.

The update also came with the following warning: "there are some known issues with the performance of Batman: Arkham Knight for PC owners using AMD graphics cards. We are working closely with AMD to rectify these issues as quickly as possible and will provide updates here as they become available. We thank you for your patience in this matter."

It's been suggested that part of these AMD-related performance issues stem from the game's heavy use of Nvidia's GameWorks feature. This isn't the only recent example of one of Nvidia's technologies conflicting with their competitor's hardware; The Witcher 3's HairWorks feature initially caused a huge performance decrease when used with AMD cards.

batman arkham knight amd

AMD has rushed out a set of beta catalyst drivers that they hope will resolve some of these issues. Although they do warn that installing them may cause the game to crash when running an in-game benchmark. There's also currently no Crossfire support, but the company is working on fixing this.

PCs using Nvidia cards have also had issues with the game; there are reports of frame rates dropping into single figures at times, and anyone with an SLI setup is likely to run into a multitude of problems. Arkham Knight shipped with a 30fps lock on the PC, something which users could only get past by editing an INI file, but many reports state an inability to reach 60fps once this limitation was removed - even with a top of the range 980 Ti and Titan X.

Batman: Arkham Knight on the PC is starting to look like a game suffering from 'poor console port' syndrome. Even if all these issues are eventually resolved through the release of new drivers and updates, it still begs the question why a modern title such as this didn't go through more rigorous testing before its release.

Permalink to story.

And this is why I never pre-order anything anymore...

I'm not going to pay to get shot in the foot on release day, they can resolved their issues and I'll buy the game in 6 months when it goes on sale.
That's my boy. It looks like you and I think exactly alike on this topic. Kudos.

"Batman: Arkham Knight on the PC is starting to look like a game suffering from 'poor console port' syndrome". "
There is no such thing as "poor port" syndrome in 2015! x86 and GCN in new consoles really blew apart this poor excuse. But wait, there's a new player in town. Some say its called gameworks. yeei

"Batman: Arkham Knight on the PC is starting to look like a game suffering from 'poor console port' syndrome". "
There is no such thing as "poor port" syndrome in 2015! x86 and GCN in new consoles really blew apart this poor excuse. But wait, there's a new player in town. Some say its called gameworks. yeei
No, look at the graphical options menu of that game and compare it to GTA5 or Witcher. Its a joke of PC gamers.

The PC version of Arkham City was such a hot mess at launch that it ran better under DirectX 9 than 11 so this is not a surprise. I think I beat the game before a DX11 patch was even released.

There you have Nvidia shitworks at its best, is almost ridiculous what Nvidia is doing to the PC gaming industry right now

Batman: Unity.
Total War: Batman...works too.

Thanks for sharing that. Figured there was more to this than what everyone was "suggesting". Between Ubisoft, SEGA, and WB, I can't decide who takes the top spot of my s*** list. At least Capcom is slowly learning and Konami too.

And this is why I never pre-order anything anymore...

I'm not going to pay to get shot in the foot on release day, they can resolved their issues and I'll buy the game in 6 months when it goes on sale.
As good as Bethesda is, they are also a massive culprit of this. EA... well... they're EA. Pity another big publisher also has poor release day quality...

Seems odd that these problems "JUST CAME UP." Batman was supposed to ship last Christmas, but was pushed back 6 months to polish the game, and no one at Rocksteady thought, hey maybe we should fire this bad boy up on a few different AMD and Nvidia systems? On the other hand, with there response being so quick, and AMD instantly coming up with a BETA driver shows me that they knew, but couldn't bother pushing back the release date for PC a month or so to work things out. E3 was last week... could have said "Hey we're fixing a few things on PC, please be patient." Some people would whine, as they always do, but most people would have been fine with that.

Well I'm waiting for the GOTY edition next year regardless. I no longer buy DLC heavy games at release. Waiting an extra 12 to 18 months doesn't bother me a bit, and by then it should be working.

I LOVE NVIDIA! And gameworks is AWESOME in Witcher 3, runs smooth as silk on my machine. What the problem is here is once again the publishing company is rushing this out the door and the developers are screaming for more time I am sure... Let the gamers make the games and give them the time they need to make it perfect and we will all be happy.

Back