Battlefield V's PC system requirements (including RTX), progress, and economy revealed

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: With Battlefield V just under three weeks away, Electronic Arts and DICE have revealed the game’s recommended PC specs along with the hardware needed to use Nvidia’s real-time ray tracing technology. Moreover, microtransactions, which won’t be available at launch, and the progression system have been explained.

The next installment in the long-running franchise isn’t very demanding when it comes to minimum specs, asking for a Core i5 6600K or AMD FX-8350 with 8GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050/GTX 660 2GB or Radeon RX 560/HD 7850 2GB.

Recommended specs are bumped up to a Core i7 4790 or Ryzen 3 1300X with 12GB RAM and a GeForce 1060 (6GB) or Radeon RX580 (8GB).

Battlefield V is set to become the first game to support Nvidia’s RTX (ray tracing) technology that it spent most of the RTX 20-series launch talking about. As such, a separate set of DXR requirements have been released, and they’re pretty hefty. In addition to needing at least an RTX 2070, all those real-time reflections and pretty shadows will require a Core i7 8700 or Ryzen 7 2700 and 16GB of RAM. Check out the full list at the bottom of the page.

DICE has also revealed more about the game’s progression system and economy. Battlefield V will have two currencies, the first of which is called Company Coin. This is earned solely through gameplay and can be spent on upgrading your skill trees, weapons, vehicles, new gear, and cosmetic items.

"You can use Company Coin to unlock choices within weapon and vehicle Specializations. You can also use Company Coin to get cosmetic items, such as jackets, face paint, and weapon skins," said DICE.

The game will also include Battlefield Currency, which is purchased using real-world money but can only be used to attain cosmetic items. It will be added sometime after the game launches. Following last year's Star Wars Battlefront II controversy, it’s no surprise to see DICE distancing itself from anything that resembles pay-to-win.

"Balanced rock-paper-scissors gameplay has always been the foundation of the Battlefield series, and our belief is that real-world money should not enable pay-to-win or pay-for-power," the company said.

Battlefield V’s progression system is split into five categories: Career, an overall rank that increases with everything you do in the game; Class, which reflects how often you play as one of the four classes (Medic, Recon, Assault, Support); Weapon and Vehicle, both of which level up and unlock new mods; and Chapter, which is tied to Tides of War.

Battlefield 5 arrives on November 20 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One. The Firestorm Battle Royale mode is set to launch in Spring 2019.

BATTLEFIELD V MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Processor (AMD): AMD FX-8350
  • Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1050 / NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 560 / HD 7850 2GB
  • DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
  • Hard-drive space: 50GB

BATTLEFIELD V RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
  • Memory: 12GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 580 8GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB

RECOMMENDED PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR DXR

• Processor (AMD): AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 8700
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2070
  • DirectX: DirectX Raytracing Compatible video card
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB

Permalink to story.

Currency system seems very similar to Battlefield 1, earn money in game to unlock weapons etc. along with career progression, get loot crates by playing or by buying, only thing they affect are cosmetics and the super rare chance to build the melee weapons which still have the same stats as the base game's melee weapons but look cooler.

Currency system seems very similar to Battlefield 1, earn money in game to unlock weapons etc. along with career progression, get loot crates by playing or by buying, only thing they affect are cosmetics and the super rare chance to build the melee weapons which still have the same stats as the base game's melee weapons but look cooler.

It's just a shame they ruined it with new weapons that required you to do challenges to open them. The new weapons were superior but some of the quests are impossible to complete; get 20 sniper kills in a round type shait, while I have twenty sniper kills in my whole 80 hour play time. It would be much more fair if you could open all weapons with in-game currency. Also matchmaking would need an upgrade (or to exist in the first place), most of the matches had players with 50+ kills/zero deaths and people with 20+ deaths/under 5 kills.

"In addition to needing at least an RTX 2070, all those real-time reflections and pretty shadows will require a Core i7 8700 or Ryzen 7 2700 and 16GB of RAM."

Hope you test this, if RTX requires this sort of hardware it's doomed. I bet it wont require any more than non RTX on cpu and ram department, this is just to sell useless shait to the same people who bought in to the RTX scam. Shame the game is such a mess, still no RTX supporting games I care about in the horizon... I have nothing against development, RTX could have been great, they should have just used some of those billions to make sure there's games that support it at launch, the lack makes it seem like they want to hide something. And with the cards failing and all.... such a shame, I really wanted to buy new GPU :/

Glad I have an XBox One X and don't have to spend $500 for a PC CPU upgrade, and another $280-$350 for the Video Card required. SO GLAD TO BE DONE WITH PC GAMING once and for all!

Good luck with your DLL, Anti-Piracy, Blue Screen errors you poor PC folks. I will be leveling up while you work with support to get your game stable. LOL.

Glad I have an XBox One X and don't have to spend $500 for a PC CPU upgrade, and another $280-$350 for the Video Card required. SO GLAD TO BE DONE WITH PC GAMING once and for all!

Good luck with your DLL, Anti-Piracy, Blue Screen errors you poor PC folks. I will be leveling up while you work with support to get your game stable. LOL.

If you spent your money on completely unnecessary and expensive parts then it's no wonder why you switched to console only gaming.

For example a $500 cpu upgrade? An i7 2600k from 7 years ago can run this game fine just. The recommended cpus for this game like the 4790(non-k) go for like $150 or less. You clearly don't need a $500 cpu like the i9-9900k to run this. Where did you get $350 for the gpu from? The minimum specs is a $120 1050. The recommended specs is a $250 gtx1060. At most, you're looking at a $250 graphics card upgrade if you have any decent Intel processor made within the last 7 years.

And everybody needs a computer anyways for work/school/etc. The money difference between getting a prebuilt work computer and a custom/upgraded gaming computer is not that great.

Last edited:
And just like that, my i7 7700K is just barely within their recommend list. WoW.
Keep in mind that the requirement is mostly because Intel cpus haven't really gotten much better in the last few generations. Your 7700k basically performs similar to the 6700k, 5770c, and 4770k/4790k as the improvements over the last few generations have been negligible. Even compared to much older cpus like the 2600k/3770k, the difference isn't THAT big. The 7700k at 4.2ghz gets like 12k in passmark while the 3770k ivybridge at 3.5ghz gets like 9,500 in passmark, which isn't that big of a difference with the 700mhz difference. If you have both running at the same clockspeed then the difference shrinks to 10% or less. I had a 2600k Sandy Bridge at a mere 4ghz and it ran BF1 at ultra with close to 100 fps and maxed out the GTX 1060 gpu with plenty of cpu headroom to spare.

Last edited:

looooooool enjoy your 30 fps, terrible exclusives, fake 4k checker board BS, and paying for online play. I'll gladly pay double whatever your console costs to play on the superior platform with far, FAR less restrictions

Um, the minimum spec processor is $140 and the minimum spec GPU is $80. No idea where you go the $500 CPU cost from.

I hate to break this to you but consoles are pretty much PCs at this point. The only thing you will be doing more on that console is waiting an hour for the game to install on it's hard disk and wasting 1 hour every day on loading screens. Consoles are easy to use but there are always trade-offs.

And just like that, my i7 7700K is just barely within their recommend list. WoW.
Keep in mind that the requirement is mostly because Intel cpus haven't really gotten much better in the last few generations. Your 7700k basically performs similar to the 6700k, 5770c, and 4770k/4790k as the improvements over the last few generations have been negligible. Even compared to much older cpus like the 2600k/3770k, the difference isn't THAT big. The 7700k at 4.2ghz gets like 12k in passmark while the 3770k ivybridge at 3.5ghz gets like 9,500 in passmark, which isn't that big of a difference with the 700mhz difference. If you have both running at the same clockspeed then the difference shrinks to 10% or less. I had a 2600k Sandy Bridge at a mere 4ghz and it ran BF1 at ultra with close to 100 fps and maxed out the GTX 1060 gpu with plenty of cpu headroom to spare.

Or you can just buy Xbox One X for £439 and be done with it :) new games cost just as much on all platforms, I love PC gaming but it's only good if you can max out all the games you play if you have to compromise then I would rather just get the console, it's so hassle free :)

Lol, have fun playing the game stuck on medium settings with 30fps and controller input lag.

It's a console port? A Pentium will give you 60 fps on medium -high settings, especially if they recommend a ryzen 3.

Or you can just buy Xbox One X for £439 and be done with it :) new games cost just as much on all platforms, I love PC gaming but it's only good if you can max out all the games you play if you have to compromise then I would rather just get the console, it's so hassle free :)

440 pounds is about $570 USD, and is not much cheaper than what my computer cost when I got it 2 years ago. I can pretty much max out any game on the market today at 1080p with my PC that costs about $680. And most of my games are STEAM/GOG/Origin bundle games that I bought on sale for $10 or less. 1/4 of my games are humble bundle games I got for $1.00. You can't find those deals on consoles, and even PS plus gold membership that gives you great deals doesn't come close when you factor in the monthly fees.

My rig:
I5-4690k - $150
16Gb ddr3 ram - $70
1150 mobo - $60
Psu - $30
Gtx1060 - $240
Case - $40
500gb SSD and 1tb HDD $90
Total: $680

Keep in mind I would've had to buy a $400-$500 computer anyways for work/school/general use. I do have a PS4 too for PSVR and console exclusives, but my PC is generally more useful and the PS4 has better exclusives than the Xbone.

But you know the good news? Battlefield 4 doesn't require those specs. Same goes for battlefield 3 and everyone beloved battlefield bad company. better yet, you don't have to deal with transgender black women of ww2.

looooooool enjoy your 30 fps, terrible exclusives, fake 4k checker board BS, and paying for online play. I'll gladly pay double whatever your console costs to play on the superior platform with far, FAR less restrictions

Halo 5 is native 4k 60fps.

"While Halo 5 does hit full 4K (2160p), dynamic resolution means the game won't run a constant resolution since the target framerate remains 60 FPS.'

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-x-significantly-improves-halo-5-guardians/1100-6454942/

That's on the more expensive Xbox One X as well. It's also only a single sample size. It'd be like me bragging about how I can hit 220 FPS on Overwatch at 4K.

Another thing to consider

"There are a handful of other things to note about Halo 5. Shadows are essentially untouched and have an odd-looking pop-in effect. A few FPS hitches occur due to loading assets during transitions in some sections, and it's a bit more prominent when running the game off an external drive"

Things like draw distance and pop-in that are common on consoles are just one of the sacrifices consoles have to make to hit 4K.

All in all, you get what you pay for. Don't buy a 90s era toyota and expect modern lambo performance.

You'll also be playing far fewer games overall and at lowered graphical quality @4K or lower. And you won't be getting 144Hz 1920x1080p or 2560x1440p or 1000Hz 3440x1440. Unstable games are the exception, not the rule It's like saying you'll ride a bicycle everywhere because newer cars occasionaly break down.

LOL. no, just no. neither the PS4 Pro or the Xbox One X can do native 4k in any game. well, there may be one or two, but they all pull some trickery to supersample up to 4k (which is not NATIVE 4k). and halo 5 was a joke. tons of technical jank, terrible story, microtransactions. it was an abortion of a halo game anyway. and I KNOW it did checkerboarding to fake a 4K resolution while barely maintaining 60fps, because it had frame drops in certain places.

You'll also be playing far fewer games overall and at lowered graphical quality @4K or lower. And you won't be getting 144Hz 1920x1080p or 2560x1440p or 1000Hz 3440x1440. Unstable games are the exception, not the rule It's like saying you'll ride a bicycle everywhere because newer cars occasionaly break down.

XBox One X games look great on my Home Theater system at 150". The best part is the audio is Dolby Atmos and there are no computer fan(s) noise making the overall experience suck. I went to a hardcore gamers house a few weeks ago. He had a PC with about 10 fans running at full RPM to keep the system from frying so he could have a decent framerate and no BSOD's from CPU/GPU overheating. All I could hear was fans and keyboard clicks. SMH. Not riding a bike, but rather a Ferrari. While others with their PC's are driving Fords broken down and overheating on the side of the road.

Back