BC Code Error on XP Need Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtiger45

Hello there can anyone help i am having problem running my Athlon Xp 3000 plus processor at it's correct speed if i try this my machine just resets or just goes dead i also get a Xp Error listed below when it does sometimes come back on after restarting can anybody help please.

Error message

BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 98FBF020 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : BABCE70E OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1

Regards

Kingtiger45

BCCode is short for Bug Check Code.
This is usually, but not always a memory error, and the dumps listed in your message imply that it is memory related.
I would first try a memory module known to be good.

The more advanced techs on this forum can sometimes tell more by looking at the dump you posted.

You can also go to other helpful fixes by going to Advanced Settings in System of the Control Panel if you can get there without shutting down. Then in Startup and Recovery, choose Settings to open a Startup & Recovery tab. While there, look for System Failure, and remove the check for Automatically restart, then Apply.

This will usually prevent your computer from restarting when the failure occurs, but will often cause the hated Blue screen with a Stop error message, then stall. The stall will require that your turn off the computer by pressing the "Start" Button for 12 seconds. But it presents the advantage of allowing you to read the Stop Error message which will be of some help in diagnostics for yourself, or for the guru's on this forum.

Good luck to you. It will be very helpful to us all if you come back with a summary of what the problem was determined to be.

ok thanks i will try this, i will post back any error that i get when running my system at full speed also i will list the full spec of my system may be this will help.

Does any else know what this error is?

The problem is that the BCCode errors listed are generalized errors that are not easily figgered out by themselves... You have errors, and you have memory dump as a result of the errors.
Common ones are a failed or inadequate video graphics card, or other failed hardware or hardware driver. Can also be an out of date driver such as for a video card. But it can also be a registry error, or a failing CPU fan, or bad memory module.
What would be helpful for techs on this forum is to know your computer brand and model, or your motherboard brand and numbers off the board. Age of the computer? Any recent installs? Do you use the computer for gaming? What are you doing on the computer when the error comes up? Did you change any hardware recently. What antivirus and antispyware do you use? When was the last time your ran a full scan? Did you also run the scan in Safe Mode?
Some obvious things: Clean your CPU fan and heatsink, if there is dust and hair piled up.
Then download the most recent version of HiJackThis, and post the results on this forum. There are true experts here such as Momok, Kitty, and Harold (among others) who know how to read and interpret those logs.

Thank you for your reply's, i will send a spec list shortly, there is one thing though i have had problems updating my G-Force 6600 graphic card with the lastest drives every time i try my whole system lags badly so i have chosen not to upgrade the drivers as yet. But before this i could run everything fine including my graphic card with an older version of the n-vidia drivers.

regards

Kingtiger45

Here is a brief overview of my system specs please let me know if you need any more additional information and i will try and post some more info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600

System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-6712
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1300 Mhz (Should run at 3000 bought as 3000 Athlon XP)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB (running at 266 MHZ i have 2 x 512 ddr 333 MH ram and 1 512 DDR 270 MHZ stick)
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Adapter RAM 256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)Driver Version 6.14.10.8198

Regards

Kingtiger45

We need to get you to try the basics, going back to the fundamentals of the machine.
The problem is one or more of these. We have to figger out which one: corrupted install from any of a number of causes, BIOS error, Chipset Error, Infestation of spyware or virus, failing memory modules, bad video graphics driver or bad video port, unreliable power supply, failing hard drive or one with newly bad sectors, failing cpu fan (rare), bad motherboard, defective card in one of the pci slots.
The first thing to do is download on another machine all the drivers available at the computer manufacturer website, motherboard web site, and the websites of the device makers, if different. You need to have these handy to install later.

Some comments and questions:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600

I don't have a reference handy. Is this version a full version or an OEM version? This makes a difference when we come to the repair, as the OEM version is difficult in running repairs.
I would check your BIOS to assure that your DVD or CD drive is first in the boot order. Then I would cold boot to the Windows XP Pro CD, and run the install in Repair Mode. This will give windows a chance to repair things in System32 and elsewhere that might be causing trouble. If you have certain OEM or Restore or Recovery versions of Windows XP Pro, they will not always run in Repair mode without sometimes causing damage. Watch your screen closely for warnings on what it says at startup.

Manufacturer MSI Model MS-6712 System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1300 Mhz (Should run at 3000 bought as 3000 Athlon XP)
Motherboard and processor are good units, not known for causing trouble.

BIOS: American Megatrends Version 07.00T, 4/2/2001 SMBIOS Version 2.3
appeears old. Have you searched for an update you can download?

Memory 1,536.00 MB (running at 266 MHZ i have 2 x 512 ddr 333 MH ram and 1 512 DDR 270 MHZ stick)
I would make my first change here, if you can get your computer to run long enough. Remove the DDR 270 module, then attempt to run Memtest 86 without it. Then remove the DDR 266 modules, and reinsert DDR 270 Run Memtest with only that module. It is important to run the memtest86 (free download) for a long time. I recommend four hours, or 7 passes, whichever is longer. It helps to have good results so you can get memory out of the way as an issue. But it is a common cause, and mismatched memory is also sometimes a cause that won't show up in a test.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Good, reliable video graphics card, but ALL VIDEO CARDS AND ALL VIDEO CARD DRIVERS ARE ALWAYS SUSPECT.
Download the latest driver and install it. If that has been done, download and install a previous verison.
If possible, borrow another video graphics card. Remove your driver and install the drivers for the new card. Run tests.
Video graphics cards and drivers are the most frequent causes of troubles similar to what you report.

We have not discussed infestations. What antivirus and antispyware software do you have? Run it in normal mode, then immediately reboot and run it again in SAFE MODE.
Run scans from other antivirus and antispyware downloads... in both normal and SAFE MODE. Panda, Computer Associates, Norton, McAfee, Avast, AVG, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Adaware 2007, and SpyBot14, among others. The idea is to give other scanners a chance to see what they can find.

Again, I realize these may not be possible if you cannot keep your computer running.

Once all that is done, if still running, download and run HiJack This in the very latest version, post the results here for the experts to review.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back