Best Buy challenges Amazon with free next-day deliveries

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: It’s hard to believe but the holiday buying season is now upon us. While many don’t consider it the holiday season until after Thanksgiving, retailers in recent years have moved the unofficial “start date” up by several weeks in order to one-up the competition and get the revenue rolling in early.

Best Buy is bringing the fight to Amazon this holiday season. The electronics retailer on Tuesday announced that it is offering free next-day delivery on thousands of items including tablets, headphones and espresso machines through the holidays.

Standard customers (non My Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus members) will need to place an order of at least $35 to qualify for free next-day shipping. In the event you live in an area where the service isn’t offered or you order something that doesn’t qualify, you’ll still get free standard shipping, we’re told.

Best Buy also reserves the right to limit next-day delivery during Thanksgiving week and will not deliver purchases on Sundays.

Speaking of qualifications, Best Buy notes that size and weight restrictions apply. For example, major appliances and televisions 51 inches or larger may have different delivery terms.

If you’d rather not fool with shipping, there’s always the store pickup option where Best Buy will have your online purchase ready to pick up at your local Best Buy within an hour. Considering that 70 percent of Americans live within 10 miles of a retail store, that might be the way to go.

Masthead credit: Best Buy store by Sean Pavone

Permalink to story.

Sounds a bit like a half way approach to keeping up with Amazon ....

At this rate no one can keep up with Amazon. When Amazon goes to ship they pay $7 for a large package through USPS. For anyone else that same package is $26.

Economies of scale work greatly in their favor.

Best Buy is one of very few that have deals and a partnership with Amazon. This why they have next day. Also it isn't new. BB has had next day shipping on some items for like a year.

Amazon also don't have a store to see things or to pick up, BB does. So it's a win win for everyone, even Amazon because as I said, BB and Amazon have a big and great partnership.

Smart move, idk about prices, but at least you know what your getting with Best Buy. Amazons delivery is it's biggest appeal atm. Between Newegg, Walmart and Ebay(used). I have no need for Amazons knockoffs.

Sounds a bit like a half way approach to keeping up with Amazon ....
Bestbuy is a different thing? why does it have to be exactly like amazon?
People use best buy to check items that need to be seen in person, to touch, to listen to.
Last time I wanted to buy a tv online from a place that had lowest price, I have read their policy that stated they wont replace it if it has less than X dead pixels. And I bought one from best buy.
I also found very lovely mechanical Keyboard at their gaming section.
I mean I typed on all of them and found the one that sounded best. It would take forever to buy them all and return from amazon if I wanted to test them all.

At this rate no one can keep up with Amazon. When Amazon goes to ship they pay $7 for a large package through USPS. For anyone else that same package is $26.

Economies of scale work greatly in their favor.
Amazon is killing USPS . Ppl say this that and the third defending Amazon, but it's true. USPS need to renegotiate

Target, Walmart and best buy all have stepped their game up to compete with Amazon. My prime sub expires at the end of this month. I really don't think I'm renewing, I've had it since 2010.
The price is no longer worth it for me

Back