Best HDR Gaming Monitors - Early 2023

OLED prices are coming down, while there has never been a better time to buy OLED, I could also make the argument that there has never been a worse time to buy OLED. If you wait until the end of 2023, you'll probably have $500-$600 OLED options in the monitor segment.

Not really feeling OLED for the desktop yet. Aren't they at about 250nits for SDR ? Granted you'll obviously have increased range with per pixel control giving you deep blacks but ...still it's not putting out much light itself to compete with ambient daytime. For a home theater OLED is truly king because it's not an unreasonable expectation that you'll be watching your movies in the dark. Glad to see things are heading in the right direction though

Last edited:
Having a good HDR monitor is 50% of the equation. The other half is good HDR implementation of material. Maybe 1 in 10 games have good HDR implementation. Also it's such a pain in the *** for some games and Windows 11 (even with auto hdr) to work correctly I play exclusive in SDR because it just isn't worth the hassle to get HDR to work.

Given the OLED monitors in this review are, essentially, the first OLED monitors on the market, and there are other OLED monitors that have been announced, I think its worth waiting until the OLED monitor market heats up from more competition. Prices are bound to drop, and the technology just keeps improving. I've wanted an OLED monitor for years, but there were none. I've waited, and I can wait longer before I finally get one. I'm still using an LG 24" 16:10 monitor I bought many years ago and is still good enough for what I do with it.

If LG can make a 240Hz 1440p monitor ie with~ 4MP, they can make a 32" 120Hz 4K monitor ie with ~ 8MP.

They have a 32GQ950-B 32" 144Hz UHD but it's IPS and only has 50-60 zones for dimming and is not great for HDR. But it has wide colour gamut making it great for productivity.

Make an OLED version of this and it's an instant buy.

I have an LG OLED b6 as a desktop monitor, since almost 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier with it. True, I sit around 1,2 meters away from it, but for the 800 USD I paid for it, it simply is unbeatable for what I do (gaming, videos and social media). Even the speakers in this unit sound decent...

OLED prices are coming down, while there has never been a better time to buy OLED, I could also make the argument that there has never been a worse time to buy OLED. If you wait until the end of 2023, you'll probably have $500-$600 OLED options in the monitor segment.

I mean, that's been a thing for a while now. Pretty sure you can snag a C1 for under $700, for example.

I have an LG OLED b6 as a desktop monitor, since almost 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier with it. True, I sit around 1,2 meters away from it, but for the 800 USD I paid for it, it simply is unbeatable for what I do (gaming, videos and social media). Even the speakers in this unit sound decent...

I have my B6 sitting around, but decommissioned it due to burn in/wear. A year of WFH, plus being dumb and not keeping the taskbar minimized eventually did it in. Lasted a good 5 years, but moved up to a C2 last year.

All too big for me. Rightly or wrongly I was led to believe 25" is optimal for FPS gaming, so I think I'll stick with my $300 240hz 1ms Alienware

Need more OLED options in the monitor market. Even the best LCD/VA panels with HDR can't beat it.

That 42 LG would be my recommendation for a gamer if you can fit it - as a TV would always have value in you home. And you can also connect your consoles, soundbars and other gizmos. The LG ranges in particular have been so forward looking. The veritable 'Jesus' display, if you can manage the size...

High end gaming monitors as a product are looking increasingly odd, as OLED TVs have been surpassing them in terms of capability and features for some years now.

Not really feeling OLED for the desktop yet. Aren't they at about 250nits for SDR ? Granted you'll obviously have increased range with per pixel control giving you deep blacks but ...still it's not putting out much light itself to compete with ambient daytime. For a home theater OLED is truly king because it's not an unreasonable expectation that you'll be watching your movies in the dark. Glad to see things are heading in the right direction though
If you have not seen an actual oled of any kind at work personally you really don't understand how little that number matters. I have the Alienware aw3423dw qd oled ultra wide monitor. I literally looked at everyone one these monitors on this list before buying it at microcenter. They are plenty bright all of them and the Alienware gets so bright it literally hurts my eyes in proper Hdr implemented content.

I intentionally have to turn it down a little lower than it's peak brightness just to be able to look at it without hurting my eyes. The others while not quite as bright are more than bright enough. Regardless of what type of panel you use ambient light is going to affect image quality period some are better than others at reducing it but ambient light pollution affects every type of panel period.

You shouldn't be playing games or watching movies in a bright as the sun lit room regardless of what panel your using. It doesn't need to be pitch black but it shouldn't be bright as can be in the room either. Trust me when I tell you oled is the way to go it's new tech that can only go up and get better from where it is now. Oleds are pretty dang bright man it bothers me when people bring that up only people that don't have an oled complain about them being low brightness.

Get the Alienware if you want an oled monitor if you can afford it hands down the best of the list it is absolutely stunning picture. I also don't understand the complaint of text fringing either it looks perfectly fine to me. I don't see what the issue is and I've tried to see it. I sit pretty close too and text is just fine to me. These guys must have laser vision because I just don't see it.

Well I bought the AW3423DW in mid 2022 and I must say that it is the biggest single upgrade I have made to my rig. The colors are stunning, the contrast is incredible, and I am no longer being irritated by the dreaded "IPS glow".

I bow to QD-OLED!!

Well I bought the AW3423DW in mid 2022 and I must say that it is the biggest single upgrade I have made to my rig. The colors are stunning, the contrast is incredible, and I am no longer being irritated by the dreaded "IPS glow".

I bow to QD-OLED!!
Does the subpiel config annoy you? Is text sharp in general?

I love QD-OLED for TVs but I am not sure I will like it for PC usage. For gaming it will be fine but for browsing and doing actual work with tons of small black text on a white background - I hear text is not sharp here.

I'd like to hear from people on this too. I'd also love to see some photos and screenshots taken from a well known site like TechSpot. I thought I had heard that Windows Truetype can fix a lot of the issues, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Do any good OLED monitors have tech that doesn't cause this fringing problem?

Thanks!

Does the subpiel config annoy you? Is text sharp in general?

I love QD-OLED for TVs but I am not sure I will like it for PC usage. For gaming it will be fine but for browsing and doing actual work with tons of small black text on a white background - I hear text is not sharp here.

I'd like to hear from people on this too. I'd also love to see some photos and screenshots taken from a well known site like TechSpot. I thought I had heard that Windows Truetype can fix a lot of the issues, but I have no idea if that's true or not.

Do any good OLED monitors have tech that doesn't cause this fringing problem?

Thanks!
LinusTechTips called it a non-issue but another person at LTT said he would not accept it...

OLED is awesome but this can be a problem for people who don't just play games on their PC.

You're not wrong, but I tend to close the curtains anyway when gaming to reduce glare. The Alienware is a gorgeous monitor. More brightness would be welcome but we have to consider eyestrain too - when I use my Samsung Q95 it can be pretty glaring, and I'm sitting much further back. My only worry with my Alienware is getting burn-in from doing too much daytime office work, but we'll see. It's only a monitor.

Back