Bethesda is still updating the original Doom games from the 90s

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Bethesda has no obligation or expectation to update a game that is nearly 27 years old, yet they do so anyway. That sort of commitment says a lot about their appreciation for the loyal community that has supported the franchise from the very beginning.

Doom just won’t die, and that’s a good thing for retro gamers. After spicing up the original and Doom II earlier this year with support for community-created content and higher frame rates, Bethesda is at it again with a new update that introduces additional modern touches.

As outlined in its recent announcement, Bethesda has modified the original Doom renderer to support native 16:9 rendering without any letterboxing for the first time. Now, you can play with a larger field of view that doesn’t cut off the top and bottom of the image.

Bethesda has also tweaked its engine to run DeHackEd, a popular editor created by Greg Lewis that allows players to fine-tune the game in a variety of ways for different gameplay experiences. With it, you’ll be able to introduce new weapons, change enemy behavior and more with ease.

Other changes include the ability to add a crosshair, a new millisecond accurate timer on the minimap for those interested in speedruns, the addition of a notification when entering a secret area for the first time and new touch controls and controller support on iOS, just to name a few.

You can check out Bethesda’s post for a full rundown of the new additions and bug fixes. The update is available now across all platforms, we're told.

Permalink to story.

Love the update. Bethesda is definitely doing right by the community with Doom. I played the original Doom when it first came out.

I played the hell out of Doom on my 32X back in the day. I didn't know at the time that they had chopped some levels out as compared to the PC version (I didn't have a PC at that time), so I just fired up my Doom 3: BFG Edition this week on Steam. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I had to let my 6 year old girl play it since it looked like so much fun.

I've had a blast playing the redone "GL Joe Quake". These are breathing new life in the older games.

Love the update. Bethesda is definitely doing right by the community with Doom. I played the original Doom when it first came out.

I wonder if they do this as side projects/training for new hires? It would be a great way to train people; update/patch older games that people love and made their company famous.

I mean ya can only drink and play Doom so much then somethings wrong. I still play

If they update Doom, why won't they update any of the other popular games? Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout series, etc... I would love to see a "remastered" series on the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series... I have the fan made updates, but you would think that Bethesda would keep themselves relevant while coming up with the latest and greatest. (Fallout 76 is not included) and yes, I know they did an updates Skyrim, but it's not really that good IMO.

Just my 2 cents...

If they update Doom, why won't they update any of the other popular games? Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout series, etc... I would love to see a "remastered" series on the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series... I have the fan made updates, but you would think that Bethesda would keep themselves relevant while coming up with the latest and greatest. (Fallout 76 is not included) and yes, I know they did an updates Skyrim, but it's not really that good IMO.

Just my 2 cents...
You didn't actually make a valid point...

Back