BFG Nvidia Geforce 8500 gt voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoDave

What is the normal running voltage for the Nvidia 8500 GT? When I check the Nvidia Monitor program it says under the voltages section PCI-E 1.400v and has a red square next to it. I noticed that when I brought my ram up to its optimum voltage level its square changed from red to green.

Should I increase the voltage to the GPU? If so, to what value?

Well Dave, many times red means too much voltage instead of too little. I'm not sure of the setting here, but I would suggest proceeding with great caution. If GPUs are like most CPUs in their voltage requirements, then 1.4 volts seems a tad on the high side, but that's just a guess..

Maybe another member will have a more definite answer for you, so hang loose for a while.

Hmm, ok. Ill see if anyone else chimes in. Im a bit hesitant in doing it as I dont want to damage anything. But the ram was at 1.2v or so and the specs for it said it should be at 2.2v and it went from red to green...everything else in the monitor window is green as well...

this by the way is kind of a follow up to my thread about my constant system crashes/rebooting issues while running games and other graphic intense programs...

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic107643.html

Well, 1.2 volts certainly would not operate the RAM correctly. The industry standard value for DDR2 is 1.8 volts, with higher performance DIMMs requiring more , on the order you suggest, perhaps 2.1 to 2.3 volts.

The older DDR (184 pin modules) required 2.5 to operate correctly.

What I'm suggesting here is that a reading could be "in the red" if it was either too high or too low. The 1.4 voltage reading for the GPU seems a tad high, but that could be because I'm referencing it to standard CPU voltages which run 1.25 to 1.35. Don't know if that's a valid comparison or not.

I guess a more important question would be, did raising the RAM voltage stop the system crashes?

no, the increased voltage to ram didnt stop the crashes...sometimes i dont crash as often as I used to some times it seams the same

I agree with captaincranky too much voltage is way to risky if ur playing a game for instance it may not blow because it has too much voltage movement aand so the best way to get the best voltage setting is just dropping it slowly until its good according to the nvidia software.

the card is running at 1.4v right now and i havent done anything to it, I havent increased or lowered the voltage at all. Is 1.4v to much for the card? All the sudden im crashing like crazy, Im trying to run WAR and im crashing almost as soon as the game starts, its more than annoying, im really getting irritated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back