Big Problem With My Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need help from somebody! Yesterday, I was scanning my harddrive. It's in a Gateway GM 5260. I believe that model has a Razor hd. Not sure. Anyway, I put it up for a scan-check. (NOT a virus scan). It was not finished scanning, and I pulled the plug. I moved the computer to another room. When I plugged it in, it will not boot into windows. It brings me to a black screen with white text. It gives me 5 options, as follows:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Normal Mode

When I pressed Safe Mode, a list of about 30-40 lines filled the screen. I suppose it was telling me that those got messed up when I pulled the plug, though, I'm not certain. Anyway, the beginning of every line read something as follows:

multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)windows/system/32/Drivers.

Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Last Known Configuration all do the same thing.

When I click on Normal Mode, the computer goes to the black screen with the windows logo and the blue cursor bar. The cursor bar doesn't even reach the end of the bar. It pauses, for a split second, literally, it flashes to a blue screen with white text (I don't know what it says, it goes by so fast), and the computer brings me back to the screen with the five different options.

I have over 200 gigs on my hard drive. I don't want to pay Disc Savers $1400 to repair the hard drive. Is there anything I can do? I was thinking of getting some contraption that would allow me to take the hard drive from my computer, turn it into an external hard drive and transfer the files into another computer. However, I don't have that right now, and I don't want to waste my time doing that if it won't work, anyway. Can somebody please help me?! I'd really appreciate it. I have over 15,000 songs, a ton of vids. I need help!

There are a number of easy ways to possibly fix your Windows OS.
Rangeing from:

CheckDisk
Repair Windows
System Restore

But because you have valuable data on your system, there is the slim (but reasonable) chance, that you may lose data. Through possibilities of:

Encryption set on files
Viruses/Trojans present on your system
Hardware issues

So here are your choices:

Either select "Last known good configuration"
Or have the HardDrive backed up, from plugging it in to another computer
(technical experience required - for physically removing your HardDrive and mounting into another computer.

You may need to spend the $50 (only) to have your data backed up. (Possibly to DVD or flash drive or another HardDrive.

Once all files (data) are backed up. You can then proceed with the Repair option
Note: you will need your Windows disc too

I actually did that. I bought a hard drive enclosure. It reads that the recovery partition is intact, but it cannot read the section of the hard drive that has the 230 gigs of files. it says that the disc is unaccessible and unreadable. Any more ideas?

CheckDisk

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. (tick)
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back