Billionaire Apple investor Warren Buffett finally upgrades his $20 flip phone to an iPhone

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Mega-rich investor Warren Buffett has long sung the praises of Apple, but he’s never been a smartphone fan, preferring instead to stick with a $20 Samsung SCH-U320 flip phone that he joked was given to him by Alexander Graham-Bell. Now, however, he’s finally upgraded to an iPhone 11.

“My flip phone is permanently gone,” Buffett told CNBC. With an estimated $89.5 billion net worth, it’s not as if he couldn’t afford the most expensive model, but the 89-year-old didn’t even buy the handset himself. He’s received several of them as gifts, including from Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Apple is Berkshire Hathaway’s third-largest business, with Buffett praising it as “probably the best business I know in the world.” It owns around 5.5 percent of the company, which equates to more than 245 million shares, or almost $72 billion.

Like most octogenarians who own smartphones, Buffett doesn’t intend to load his device with apps and games or spend a lot of time trying out the different camera modes. “You’re looking at an 89-year-old guy who’s barely beginning to get with it,” he said, adding that he doesn’t use “all its facilities like most people.”

“I use it as a phone,” confessed Buffett. Although if he is having trouble with his handset, Cook did say in 2018 that he’d fly to Omaha, Nebraska, to help set up his friend's new phone.

In other Apple news, it was revealed earlier this month that the company was trying to ban a book authored by a former executive for allegedly revealing trade secrets.

Permalink to story.

Gee, I'm shocked he didn't buy one of the new folding flip phones considering he could afford one (easily) and he's used to flipping phones open.

In the end, I guess apple just made more sense for him.

I wonder how long till he starts spamming political memes?

If all he needs is to call why not?

Speaking of only making calls, I’ve been thinking about getting a Light Phone.

Although for $350 you may as well just have a smartphone.

He is probably one of the humblest of men I know. We can all learn a bit from his lifestyle.

[Apple being] “probably the best business I know in the world.”
I wonder how authentic this quote really is. Is it to make share value go up? Or because of how bad apple rips people off (I.e. profit)? I would like to think the former as I consider him a humble man. Only God knows.

I have no idea why they value someone at their current stock value. If he (or anyone with high amounts of stock) decided to sell it all, the stock value would plummet and it would be much less. What do you think bezos would be worth if tomorrow he decides to sell it all?

Last edited:
He's successful because in some ways, he's a penny pincher. Doesn't live in a "huge" multi-billion dollar
mansion, drives (or use to) and old Lincoln Town Car, doesn't rush out and buy the newest bling.
A lot of people could take a page from how he's lived and become so successful, instead of buying a new
phone every year.

Just goes to show that having "things" is not what makes a person successful and there is no argument that Warren Buffett is successful ......
by capitalist definition he is indeed "successful". (successful here being defined as making lots of money)

Gee, I'm shocked he didn't buy one of the new folding flip phones considering he could afford one (easily) and he's used to flipping phones open.

In the end, I guess apple just made more sense for him.

I wonder how long till he starts spamming political memes?
Mr. Buffet is a frugal and humble man even if I do not agree with some of his investments - but what do I know. Have a look at his home - https://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-modest-home-bought-31500-looks-2017-6

He is probably one of the humblest of men I know. We can all learn a bit from his lifestyle.

[Apple being] “probably the best business I know in the world.”
I wonder how authentic this quote really is. Is it to make share value go up? Or because of how bad apple rips people off (I.e. profit)? I would like to think the former as I consider him a humble man. Only God knows.

I have no idea why they value someone at their current stock value. If he (or anyone with high amounts of stock) decided to sell it all, the stock value would plummet and it would be much less. What do you think bezos would be worth if tomorrow he decides to sell it all?
Humble man? His company Berkshire Hathaway owns:
Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, BNY Mellon, and U.S. Bancorp were all among Berkshire's 15 largest stock holdings.

You do know those BIG Banks cause the 08 financial turmoil and at the end use taxpayers money to bail them out, and to this day they have not pay back a single penny. And not a single banker got any jail time, right?

Humble man? His company Berkshire Hathaway owns:
Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, BNY Mellon, and U.S. Bancorp were all among Berkshire's 15 largest stock holdings.

You do know those BIG Banks cause the 08 financial turmoil and at the end use taxpayers money to bail them out, and to this day they have not pay back a single penny. And not a single banker got any jail time, right?

I'm referring to the man and his personal lifestyle. Nothing else.

Godspeed.

I only upgraded my LG flip phone last year, and only because it was a free iphone hand me down. Texting was the only nuisance on it but I didn't do it often.
I upgraded my 2007 LG 359 last year - and once again, skipped the data plan.

I upgraded my 2007 LG 359 last year - and once again, skipped the data plan.
I ended up going with good2gmobile(AT&T network). their most basic plan is unlimited talk/text + 1GB data for only $15/m. Literally halved my old t-mobile bill.

Back