BIOS image file check sum error

davidflynn12

I have a asus a8n delexe sli which gaves the above error when I do alt f2 on post to enter the flash utility. I was driven to reinstall bios or upgrade it because I am getting freezing; reboot issues; missing drivers; unrecognised hardware issues etc. I have swapped out drives, video cards, reinstalled OS and even swapped PSU to no avail. So has my motherboard just had it?
I folllowed asus instructions and copied the bios to a floppy disk and tried to flash from that. Although I copied all three files in the downloaded zip so I presume it would select the exe file automatically. I will download again. Should it work if I copied to a blank CD? I presume the bios would automatically pull the exe from any device besides the hard drive? I get this error with or without the floppy inserted?

I managed to reflash the bios using the asus utility in windows before it froze. But upgrading my bios did not fix my computer so a tech replaced the had drive; windows installed ok but it freezes when I try to do windows update.

Since that board came out in 2004, it could very well be past it's useful life, due to aging capacitors, oxidized slots & connectors, etc. Nice piece of history, though, the first nVidia SLI board available. I can see why you want to keep it going. As suggested above by Tmagic650, the problem could be memory related, you could try reseating it, cleaning the slots/contacts, or booting with one stick (a new one or known good one if available). If you exhaust all other possibilities, then you have to assume it's the motherboard.

Yes I have reseated the ram. I bought the motherboard in 2006 so I suppose it is getting old now, I thought I would get another two or three years from it.

Back