BIOS Problems

Hi there, I was out of my country for a while and when I returned my family told me that the desktop computer is not working. Now when I try to start the system, it works fine until a message appears like "Unknown CPU detected. BIOS update is required to unleash its full power. Press F1 to continue". This message was always there though, and when I pressed F1 it continued on the starting process. However now the F1 does not seem to work. I had a generic keyboard so maybe I thought it was because of that, so I went and bought an USB one and still no progress. I wanted to reinstall windows to fix the issue however I cant access bios with the del key for some reason although it is clearly stated that I need to press del to enter bios. Computer is like 4 years old and here are the specs,

Dual Core 2.2 GHz Intel CPU
8gb of Ram
Asus Commando motherboard
750W Thermaltake power supply
Geforce 8600GT
Win 7

I formatted my pc a lot of times and it always worked fine until now, bear in mind that this is a computer I put together, and also there is no burning smell or shutdowns happening. It just stays at that message and none of the keyboard keys seem to work.

I would really appreciate any help.

Try borrowing a keyboard that has a PS/2 connection. Your generic keyboard might have had a problem. I had to use a PS/2 keyboard in order to enter into bios on an old desktop that I had. It was annoying, but for some reason the motherboard wouldn't recognize the USB keyboard until it booted into Windows. Give this a try and see if it helps.

Hi, I just had a look at some images of this board and it does seem to have the PS/2 sockets for KB and mouse.... as well as USB, didn't expect that.
It can be true, as mentioned above, that a PS/2 plug KB will be able to access the BIOS, and the USB KB won't.
I keep a spare Microsoft 500 KB for that reason.
The plug is a half sized DIN plug in a violet colour, with a 'key' to polarize it to the socket, so that it only fits one way. Before USB KB's appeared, it was the main way of connecting a KB to the PC.

Thanks for the responses. I borrowed a KB and tried going into bios that way, however it didnt work. Now I think PS/2 plug might be broken because I have two PS/2 KB now and none of them work. Although I figured a way to open the computer, which is to unplug all keyboards and the system gives an error and boots from hard drive. That is not that good though as the computer is in a pretty bad condition so I still need to format it.

Is there a way to change the pins in the motherboard to change keyboard and mouse PS/2 sockets so that I can plug my KB into mouse slot?

Back