BioShock 2 gets official release date: February 9, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Originally slated for a release next month, 2K Games' highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning "BioShock" will finally arrive worldwide on February. The underwater first-person shooter will see a simultaneous triple-platform launch on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3; with pre-orders now open at certain online retailers.

BioShock 2 is set ten years after the events of the original game and places gamers in the shoes of the first Big Daddy ever made. This follow-up marks not only the debut of new enemies in the form of other Big Daddies and Big Sisters, but also a fully-featured multiplayer component that serves as a prequel set during the fall of Rapture, adding to the game's splendid narrative.

For those of you who are new to the series, or perhaps would like to replay the original title in anticipation to the sequel, game download service Direct2Drive is celebrating its 5-year anniversary by offering a large selection of (mostly old) PC games for $5 each -- among them, BioShock.

Permalink to story.

Right on! One of the few games I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for. Hope they do it right - Bioshock was an amazing gaming experience.

I may use direct to drive for the first time, I am a fan of steam, I can link games I get off of Direct to drive to Steam right? I must play Bioshock!

"I can link games I get off of Direct to drive to Steam right?"
I'm pretty sure you can - at least they keep advertising it.

"BioShock 2 is set ten years after the events of the original game"
BEFORE the events of the original game

Actually, the single-player campaign does take place AFTER the events of the original game. It is the multi-player component which is set in the underwater city of Rapture before it all went bad - or during that time. (More info)

Jos said:
Actually, the single-player campaign does take place AFTER the events of the original game. It is the multi-player component which is set in the underwater city of Rapture before it all went bad - or during that time. (More info)
"BioShock 2 is set ten years after the events of the original game and places gamers in the shoes of the first Big Daddy ever made"
thats a massive contradiction, the first Big Daddy would NOT come 10 years AFTER the original game.

Yeah, I'm looking at my Game Informer Magazine and it also says Bioshock 2 campaign takes place 10 years AFTER Bioshock 1. I realize it's easy to assert that because you are playing as the first Big Daddy that the game must be before Bioshock 1, however I have never seen any official sources claim this. I also have yet to see a source claim that you play as the first Big daddy just after he was created. I believe the reason you play as the first is so that they can reasonably put your character in less cumbersome armor and make the playability similar to the first game. Sure it would be awesome to play as newer big daddies for a while, but they are generally too sluggish. Keep in mind Rapture was only completed in 1946, and it's Downfall started on New Year's eve of 1958, then the civil war in 1959 (one year before Bioshock 1). So if Bioshock 2 were ten years BEFORE Bioshock 1, we would be playing in a "paradise" which would be quite uneventful. I would like to offer the advice that if you are going to correct someone, please provide evidence which can backup your claims. What I have said can be obtained by playing through the entire game, but here is a source too: <a href="http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13400" />

MAIN game: Set 10 yrs after original... MULTIPLAYER:During the Civil War in Rapture there you go

WTF!!! if its set 10 years after Bioshock thn why are you playing as the first Big Daddy ever made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back