BitTorrent launches new subscription tier that removes ads from uTorrent

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tired of seeing ads on uTorrent? There's now another solution to eliminate them but of course, it'll cost you (just not as much as before).

Following a brief beta stint, BitTorrent has rolled out an annual subscription service that'll eliminate ads from uTorrent. It's priced at $4.95 per year but unlike the existing Pro tier, it doesn't include any other benefits.

The $19.95 / year Pro tier provides automatic virus and malware protection and premium customer support. Subscribers can also convert downloads to play on any device and stream torrents instantly. All of this is in addition to eliminating ads.

In a blog post announcing the new tier, the uTorrent team said they accept multiple forms of payment including credit card and PayPal. Once the transaction is complete, you'll receive a confirmation e-mail and can then either install via the Bundle Installer link to get an executable file or click the Personal License Key link to get a file that you can drag into your existing client for an automatic update.

uTorrent was originally launched in 2005 by Ludvig Strigeus who sold it to BitTorrent, Inc. roughly a year later. Last April, the company said it surpassed the 100 million download mark on mobile devices alone. Older data from 2012 placed the number of monthly users at 150 million, a figure that has no doubt swelled considerably since that time.

Lead image via Jordan Novet, VentureBeat

Permalink to story.

Just go with Qbittorrent. Same old-style uTorrent interface, and no ads. Ever.
No adds, no strange things running on the background, no bloatware in the middle. Death to uTorrent.

Qbit for the win.
Yes it is! I was a uTorrent die-hard, until they screwed up regulating bandwidth speed limits. I moved to qBittorrent (after seeing someone here at TS promote it) and have been much happier since.

I'd agree with the general sentiment here. uTorrent was once the best but it's gone down hill once they started putting money first. Too many free competitors without ads to even bother with uTorrent.

Not to mention it runs much better in the background, and is easier on resources.

When I made the switch Qbit was the first I tried, and didn't even bother testing out any other ones.

Qbit is the best in my experience as well, Tixati is much slower, and I run a gigabit connection.

Qbit connects to peers in a flash and regularly goes up to 70-80 MB/s if enough peers are available. And even at those speeds, not once has it overloaded my disk.

uTorrent was great when it was the work of one guy, but now it's just a corporate money making machine.

If you don't like qBit or want uTorrent features just install uTorrent 2.2.1. It has no ads and just disable automatic updates. Best solution for me by far.

No adds, no strange things running on the background, no bloatware in the middle. Death to uTorrent.

Qbit for the win.

Been using Qbit for a while, it's epic! I wish the UI was little better however that's just my hipster senses kicking in.

I have not used uTorrent for, a... long, while.

I add my +1 for venerable and indefatigable utorrent 2.2.1.

utorrent post 2.2.1 is like W10. Why would you use ad/spyware/keylogger ridden OS when W7 does everything better without them?

I recommend it too, after so many years using utorrent (from the days of 1.6) I switched to qbittorrent and was impressed, no ADS, no weird disk congestion but I must say it still suffers in one area just like it's older brother and that is RAM leak (it happens when you have multiple torrents seeding for hours, active seeding with speeds over 1 MB/s)!

I switched from uTorrent to qBittorrent earlier today. The transition was smooth and painless. All the settings are familiar, and so is the user interface. I finally had enough of uTorrent when it triggered my anti-virus (Malwarebytes) this morning. I chose qBittorrent because it's open source.

I add my +1 for venerable and indefatigable utorrent 2.2.1.

utorrent post 2.2.1 is like W10. Why would you use ad/spyware/keylogger ridden OS when W7 does everything better without them?

That's not all true ^^ I upgraded to W10 and will not look back.

Back