Bizarre BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brenner14

I've been having this problem since I first built my PC 2 years ago, and I have tried several times to resolve it. Now I'm going to try again, and I really hope you guys can help me fix this once and for all.

My PC:
Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Intel e6600 @ 3.0 GHz
nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb
2 x 320gb Western Digital Hard Drives
2 x 1gb G.Skill DDR2 RAM
ASUS nForce 6 Motherboard

Chkdsk shows no errors
WD hard disk utility shows no errors
Memtest86+ shows no errors
I just cleaned my PC case out; it was dusty but not terrible because I'm pretty good at cleaning it semi-regularly
Every piece of hardware is running the latest update/driver/BIOS/firmware

I would post antivirus statistics, but that is the problem. I can't. My computer cannot run a virus scan without Blue Screening; in fact, it has never been able to do so. This also goes for spyware/malware scans. When any one of these searches begins scanning the registry, my computer will BSoD with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

I've also seen IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but that is much less common.

Only virus scans result in this BSoD. Other than for this reason, my PC has BSoD'd maybe once in total. Mind you, I can run Registry Fixes from CCleaner; those work fine. Only virus and malware scans cause this error, and it typically happens when the scan claims to be searching the registry.

As far as I know, this problem has existed since the first day I ever tried to run a virus scan. I've tried to fix it numerous times, and heard the error be attributed to various causes.

Bad memory? Memtest shows no errors
Bad PSU? Well I have low 5v and 12v rail wattages, and I even RMA'd my PSU to fix this. Guess what? New PSU shows same values. I don't think it's the problem anyway.
Bad Windows install? I hope not. :(

I'm sick of not being able to run virus scans. Fun fact: Windows Explorer crashes whenever I type 'v' into the search bar; I think this is the result of a virus, but I've never heard of anything like it so I figure it's worth mentioning.

Unfortunately I recently ran Disk Cleanup and cleared all my minidump files (I had hundreds of them.) If you guys would like more than 1, I can continue to run virus scans and generate them for as long as you please.

Thanks in advance.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 50
BCP1: B1F20000
BCP2: 00000001
BCP3: 828D3693
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: a089558a-1d2c-46d3-841d-c868a584261b

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is an 0xA error and these can be strong indicators of either hardware issues or a driver attempting to access an IRQ Level it has not right doing.

Your minidump error is 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Though it cited as the probable cause as a Windows OS driver which is too general to be of much help but what was in the mix was the driver avgcsrvx.exe is a part of AVG Internet Security.

AVG has given many people issues and we see it here all the time. Our suggestion has been to uninstall AVG and then go to their website and find their removal tool and use that.

If you don't want to remove it then update. Tell us if either way resolves your issues.

* It could also be you are infected. I suggest doing an search for two free and completely safe online scanners: NOD32 and BitDefender. Let them scan.

* I also suggest going to the Virus & Malware forum here, read the sticky on the 8 Steps removal and follow it to the letter. Post there with the .docs they require.

BitDefender QuickScan reports "Everything is fine."
htt__p://pastebin.c__om/m250c55c6 <-- Pastebin of the report (Remove underscores because I can't yet post links.)

I am running the latest version of AVG. The AVG process is probably involved in the Bluescreen because I was running an AVG scan when it happened. It isn't just AVG; any kind of full virus scan will cause this problem. I will, however, uninstall AVG tomorrow and try a different scanner tomorrow on the chance that AVG causes the error regardless of whether or not it is the one doing the scan.

Currently running the 8 steps recommended in the malware forum. I have a feeling the bluescreen will occur sometime during this process though.

The latest version of AVG, again, is causing many problems. Do you have more than one security suit or antivirus, firewall and/or antispyware loaded on your system?

Well I just installed the 2 programs that were recommended in the 8 Steps Thread. I ran both scans simultaneously and my system just locked up 40 minutes in. No infections had been found and each scan had finished searching both the registry and the memory. I guess I'll run each separately overnight but at this point I doubt they'll find anything substantial.

Up until installing these new programs, though, I was running only AVG security software in conjunction with Windows Defender.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntispyware.

I'll run one overnight and do the other during the day, but I really don't think my PC is infected. Although I have never done an full PC scan, I've had preventative protection enabled since the moment I first accessed the Internet. I doubt I'm infected with anything more than a couple tracking cookies at the worst.

Instead of going through all this at the moment take my suggestion and uninstall AVG temporarily. Then try to scan with the other ones you installed. Are you still getting freezes, lock-ups, BSODs?

SUPERAntiSpyware resulted in 46 tracking cookies; removed.

Running MalwareBytes today; if it freezes, I'll try running it again with AVG uninstalled. If it doesn't freeze, I'll uninstall AVG entirely and use this as my new antivirus software.

I never considered that the problem could be AVG and not my PC...

SUPERAntiSpyware resulted in 46 tracking cookies; removed.

Running MalwareBytes today; if it freezes, I'll try running it again with AVG uninstalled. If it doesn't freeze, I'll uninstall AVG entirely and use this as my new antivirus software.

I never considered that the problem could be AVG and not my PC...

It may not be your AVG, but with its recent track record, the high numbers of people finding stability after they fully uninstall, and the fact that that driver showed up in yourr file, we are doing diagnostic steps to determine whether or not this is indeed the case.

kimsland in another post pointed out that one problem of significance with AVG's latest release are too many scanners within the product that try to access the same driver at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back