Black bar right side of lcd screen

Mark Fuller

I have an old dell latitude d630 which has a black bar on the right side of the lcd. I don;t think it is hardware because the screen is not truncated, The scrreen is normal except for the black bar and has no truncation. I reinstalled the video adaptor and the monitor adaptor drivers as well. I have researched both dell's and microsoft's websites which has much to say about the issue but never gets to a solution for the issue. is there anyone who can help me

At ten years old, it's probably one of the flexible printed circuit boards in the screen that's failed. You can see them in this image:

2020-07-28-image-9.jpg

Each one handles a section of the LCD panel, and if it has failed, this would explain why you have a vertical bar of nothing down one side. Since the rest of the system won't know this, it still draws the screen as normal.

LCD panels are typically discrete units, so it may be possible to replace the whole thing - you can usually find them on eBay for sale. How likely the replacement is comes down to how nicely Dell have been when they designed the laptop: some are borderline impossible to repair, because the screen connectors are glued in place, rather than plugged into a socket.

Back