BlackBerry 10 OS revealed in 14-page marketing document

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Images of RIM’s upcoming BlackBerry 10 operating system have surfaced months ahead of launch. The photos were pulled from a 14-page PDF file that looks to be from one of RIM’s external ad agencies, according to Crackberry.

The photos don’t show any new hardware as all of the phones in the document are BlackBerry 7 handsets but the on-screen images are all new. New for BB10 are home screen widgets similar to those found on Android and Windows Phone devices.

There’s also a new icon tray with revised artwork and icons that are said to be much smarter than those found in BB7. For example, the icon for the Pictures folder shows an image from within the folder and the Clock icon displays the time of the next scheduled alarm.

Other features gathered from the photos include a universal inbox and a new caller display screen. Of note here is an icon for video chat which will make the process much easier in BB10.

All of these features will be welcomed by BlackBerry faithful but at this point, is it a case of too little, too late? None of these features are new or groundbreaking in the smartphone market – Android and iOS have included most of them for some time.

Furthermore, by the time BB10 is released, it’s very likely that the bigger players will have come out with something all-new, or at least be well on their way to developing next-gen software.

Permalink to story.

hey, isn't that background the same as one that came with Vista? that grass close-up?
and I look at it and I don't see a blackberry... where is the keyboard !?

about the looks, the icon grid alignment is as old as even windows 3 (or before). in mobiles, nokias displayed applications and menus in grids rather than in lists, so nothing absolutely apple-like there. maybe the panel swipe, if that.

that's right, same with Storm. I see BlackBerry as a directed product to business customers who use keyboards more extensively. BlackBerry needs to stand out as an option, cause right now iPhone is the flagship for both spoiled teens and high end customers. all with a single product.
BlackBerry CANNOT be a teen product. It's about image.

I agree with your post but for me its not about image. I just need to get work done and the time it takes me to write out a paragraph on a blackberry is equal to one sentence on a on screen keyboard aka iphone. No thanks I don't need a phone to play games or to look cool or that other Isheep garbage. one my friends is like but so many good games and i'm like listen "You drain your battery playings games and I use my phone to actually make calls."

Some of us do real work.

With their proprietary encryption and networks, Blackberry could have something special if they'd move everything to Switzerland and guarantee to never release your data or allow backdoors for the New World Order. They could charge outrageous fees to do this for those Murdochs of the world.

Back