Blank HDD, Blank screen, and no access to Bios

I had to replace my HDD in my other laptop, well I put in blank HDD, well I try to start it up and I dont get bios or post. needing to install OS and software for the laptop. I tried the Ram trick, the hard system power reset and everything I could find that people suggested for the blank screen and bios problem.

I don't know that much about laptops but when you replaced the hard drive, how did you know it failed and how do you know something else hasn't failed?

I would remove the new disk, and then re-fit it, just to double check its connections are solid.

To confirm, are you saying BIOS no longer appears at all?

I think if it was something else besides the disk, BIOS will still appear - It wouldn't start any different regardless of whether the disk had an OS or not. Least thats how I'd expect it to behave.

That's not automatically a bad hard drive. There are other reasons for a BSOD. Anyway, with a desktop it should post even without a hard drive. I don't know if laptops are different in this respect but if not, it would seem something else has failed.

Edit: Leeky kind of beat me to it while I took my sweet time writing.

@mailpup
You deserve credit, not me, because I said it different to how I meant to say it. lol.

What I meant was, regardless of whether the OS is installed on a disk or not, it should still enter into BIOS. I'd expect problems identifying a disk that isn't connected properly (I'm not saying it was deliberate, it sometimes happens), but it should still enter BIOS.

I don't see how a disk would effect that from happening. I could be wrong however, but I do feel much like you, that something else isn't right.

EDIT:
@DarkWolfie
Have you had it apart other than the drive bay?
Maybe you disconnected something and haven't reconnected it?

The proceedure of removing, then refitting a disk shouldn't cause BIOS to stop - So I'd be tracing exactly what you did to see if something has come undone during your disk change.

Try resetting BIOS again.

have rechecked everything I had to remove and it is all hooked up correctly and properly. and yes to confirm no bios showing at all.

it is just weird because a few weeks ago I had tried to see if I could bypass the blue screen of death and get into Bios to just reformat the original HDD but had no luck getting passed it. now this

I would check the CPU again - Failing that, assuming it has power, but still isn't doing anything when turning on, I'd suspect the motherboard - You've eliminated everything else by the sounds of things.

Then again, I'm no expert, so I'll let a fellow member with much more experience than me make a professional judgement. :)

would the cpu heatsink not being thermo glued to the cpu be a problem ?

I would imagine it might be - It needs something between the two items (e.g. heatsink and cpu). Did you remove it?

Without an adequate seal the CPU would probably overheat extremely rapidly.

had to remove the cpu heatsink to adjust the fan that cools the heatsink. the thermo glue is still on both parts like it was when I took the heatsink off. they was not bonded together like they shoulda been but the heatsink has 3 screws that hold it down to the heatsink very securely

had to remove the cpu heatsink to adjust the fan that cools the heatsink. the thermo glue is still on both parts like it was when I took the heatsink off. they was not bonded together like they shoulda been but the heatsink has 3 screws that hold it down to the heatsink very securely

If its removable, I would put some more paste on it, then screw it back down.

I don't think that is the issue though. Unless it worked before you removed it, and since doing so it hasnt.

Back