Blank screen at windows login prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

ok so my roommate restarted my other computer. And now when it boots up you see the windows loading thing, then when the login screen should come up the monitor shuts off, like it doesn't revive any input anymore. But if you input the login correctly you can hear the windows startup theme in the speakers, but the screen never comes back on.

Ok so i tried re-seating the video card but that didn't help.

Tried a different monitor. No go.

Also tried running it out thru the DVI port with an adapter but that didn't help either.

On the plus side I can get into safe mode.

As for specs -
Windows XP Pro SP 3

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G mobo

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2

EVGA 256-P2-N429-LR GeForce 7200GS 256MB

Ante 500w PSU

DVD burner.

monitor is a old CRT i found somewhere along the line.

so ahh any idea's. I can't really think of anything for some reason.....

ok so after my brain kicked on i decided to uninstall the graphics card drivers. then reinstall. well it kinda worked. Uninstalled the 7300 from the display adapter list. Restared. No more blank screen. But now when I tried to reinstall the nvidia driver I just downloaded off there site it says 'Unable to install nvidia control panel' and wont install the driver.

thats is the kind of headache the pc can give to anybody. first thing you should do could be to boot the system into safe mode and trying to look to your video drivers if they were the source of the problem. if not then you may try to use System Restore Tool to backdate your system into previous date or time.

Video cards do not last a lifetime... in fact, some last little more than a year. I would attempt to borrow a video card from a friend or two. If it works with new video card and drivers, you old one has likely bit the dust.

Ok so what I ended up doing last night after I couldn't get the nvidia drivers to install is I took it back to a system restore point about a week ago. But the computer still ran slower than it was before all this, and if you load up a game it runs really bad with a low frame rate.

So i dug out the disc that came with the video card and got the EVGA Precision divers for it to install. They did install correctly, or at least appeared to. But the computer still runs slower with a lower frame rate on everything, especially games, now. So I'm thinking you might be correct. Might have a back video card in there. I bought the video card on Feb 2nd last year, so Its about a year old.

I guess after work today I will try the video card out of this machine. The video card in there is a card I picked up on sale from newegg for $30ish including shipping, so it wouldn't surprise me if it died.

Oh and i'm sry if my post last night seemed a bit scatterbrained. It was a long day at work, and I couldn't get my brain to put 2 and 2 together last night. My roommate actually thought up most of what I did, she just wasn't sure quite how to do it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back