Blizzard abandons Diablo III Team Deathmatch mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard game director Jay Wilson recently penned a post outlining the fact that there won’t be a Team Deathmatch mode for Diablo III – at least not anytime in the near future. The initial plan was to release a patch with the new mode as soon as possible but after extensive testing, the team determined it simply wasn’t good enough and scrapped the idea altogether.

Wilson said one of the main issues with the Team Deathmatch mode was depth. He pointed out that simply fighting each other with no objective or choices to make got old relatively quickly. The company brought in a lot of people to test out the new game mode and while some found it entertaining, most said they wouldn’t invest more than a few hours into it.

blizzard scraps diablo team deathmatch starts blizzard diablo 3 diabo iii

The director also highlighted the fact that class balance was another serious issue with the game mode. The title was initially designed to be a PvE (Player versus Environment) game and thus, they never compromised on player abilities with PvP balance in mind. While this reportedly works fine for 1v1 games, Team Deathmatch felt very hardcore because a lot of consideration had to be given to class balance. Ultimately, Blizzard didn’t think it would be good for the game as a whole.

It’s not all bad news for Diablo fans, however, as 1v1 dueling is still scheduled to be added in patch 1.0.7 sometime after the new year. As for Team Deathmatch, they will be starting over from scratch but not before exploring some other options first.

Permalink to story.

I gave up 2 years ago on blizzard. By the time they release Warcraft 4 I will be collecting Social Security.

Well they need to do two things. 1. Fix the PvP and balance the classes for multiple types of PvP. 2. Port D3 to the consoles. Its very clear to me who has had to watch hours of D3 on a friends PC, that the game would benifit GREATLY from the added influx of new characters.

Blizzard has died long ago. Somewhere around the time of their first WoW expansion give or take.

Diablo 3 really put the nail in the coffin though, at least from my point of view. I quit playing that game months ago and I am going to take a wild guess that itemization and PvP still isn't fixed. I also suspect they made the game easier now while not actually addressing the games main previous appeal (the item hunt)... It is only 2012 and I think that game will be my disappointment of a decade.

Well they need to do two things. 1. Fix the PvP and balance the classes for multiple types of PvP. 2. Port D3 to the consoles. Its very clear to me who has had to watch hours of D3 on a friends PC, that the game would benifit GREATLY from the added influx of new characters.

You cannot balance around multiple PvP game modes/brackets, you simply can't unless every single class has different mechanics/talents (generally the way it works) for each of the game modes/brackets. See PvP vs PvE balancing, 2v2 vs 3v3 and so forth (WoW for example, yes two different games but it still applies to D3).

Blizzard has died long ago. Somewhere around the time of their first WoW expansion give or take.

Diablo 3 really put the nail in the coffin though, at least from my point of view. I quit playing that game months ago and I am going to take a wild guess that itemization and PvP still isn't fixed. I also suspect they made the game easier now while not actually addressing the games main previous appeal (the item hunt)... It is only 2012 and I think that game will be my disappointment of a decade.

I do agree partly. I stopped playing D3 but really mainly because it isn't my type of a game so I don't blame Blizzard too much (they could of done so much more with the game though before release.

All I can say or at least hope is that there put their best talent on the next "flagship" MMO codenamed 'Titan'. Now that may not be case and they are simply trying to maximize profits before they sink even further, but who knows.

I do agree partly. I stopped playing D3 but really mainly because it isn't my type of a game so I don't blame Blizzard too much (they could of done so much more with the game though before release.

All I can say or at least hope is that there put their best talent on the next "flagship" MMO codenamed 'Titan'. Now that may not be case and they are simply trying to maximize profits before they sink even further, but who knows.

Yup, they're trying to maximize profits, they know the ship is sinking... The businessman killed Blizzard... :(

Diablo 2 was not and is not balanced, but still very fun, its ok if some skills are not viable. Sure you might have to do some math or pay attention to what others are doing and or ask advice but thats part of the fun. Finding out what does work. Look at diablo 2 pvp, pure chaos and very very fun. They are to worried about balance, just give us pvp, state this is for fun and let the players figure out what works. At this point in diablo 2 every class has a ferocious build for pvp, sometimes it feels like rock paper scissors, no not all the skills can be used for pvp and that is just fine. ITS ABOUT FUN. They could easily make a simple diablo 2 style pvp option, for now and for fun. Yes you run to town when low or fight to the death with honor, it was your decision. AND THAT IS OK.

So d3 scatter shot out all kinds of pvp "maps" "modes", let the players have fun and balance them as you go along. No you do not need rewards\ranks for fun, yes they would be nice later.

Lol. I just started playing d3.
got it a discounted price around october 3rd-4th week 2012.

had some (low level ?) rares stashed for possible sale.

my demon hunter got stucked on act 4 scene 2 though. :)

if not for the constant connection error 3003, I would rate d3 as fine.

Back