Blizzard combines donation drive with (real human) blood-infused PC giveaway

Jimmy2x

Staff
WTF?! Love it or hate it, Blizzard is notorious for its marketing campaigns when it comes to promoting AAA titles. The Diablo and Modern Warfare publisher has employed every tactic imaginable, from building-sized ads in New York and Las Vegas to secret phone messages leaking game reveals and intel. Never one to be outdone, the company's latest campaign promoting Diablo 4 Season 2 has once again upped the ante, offering participating players a chance to win a blood-infused PC of their own.

This week Blizzard released news of its latest promotion for Diablo 4's Season 2 Blood Harvest. During the promotional period, participating players can earn in game items and the chance to win a high-end custom PC infused with real human blood. You read that right. Diablo 4 fans can enter to win a PC infused with real human blood.

While it sounds like pure marketing horror, the campaign is actually designed with the best of intentions and as a play on the current season's crimson theme.

The promotion features Blizzard's real-life blood harvest, a blood donation drive to help donation centers "harvest" 666 quarts of life-saving blood between October 20 and November 20. During the promotional period, U.S.-based players can participate by donating blood at any qualified donation center and logging their contribution via the Blood Harvest website.

According to the promotion, Blizzard will unlock Crimson-coated weapons, armor, and mount cosmetics after hitting 33%, 66%, and 100% of its donation goals. The promotion will also celebrate reaching 100% of its goal by giving away a decked out custom PC infused with human blood.

In addition to the blood, the PC will include a GeForce RTX 4090 on an EK Quantum Vector waterblock, Intel Core i9 CPU, 64GB of DDR5 RAM, and plenty of storage. The post notes that the PC giveaway will be open to any entrants over the age of 18 and not only those that donated blood during the promotional period.

Announced in early October, Diablo 4's Season of Blood adds a new vampiric mechanic to this season's gameplay. The new mechanic allows players to unlock and leverage more than 20 different vampiric powers designed to further strengthen their characters.

In true Blizzard fashion, the new seasonal update was released complete with a broken objective and reward system, bugs that inadvertently disabled crossplay capabilities, and a broken battle pass system that left players unable to claim rewards.

Fortunately for everyone involved, Blizzard has been able to quickly address these and other issues, reversing its course and potentially avoiding a rollout similar to its disastrous Season 1 release.

Permalink to story.

I can ignore them longer than they can advertise. Diablo is dead. Warcraft is dead. Starcraft is dead.
They have nothing else which I can even remotely show interest in.
Call of duty is a no no, overwatch is garbage, I'm coming back when they quit their skins and microtransactions selling spree.
That is, never.

This news reminds me of Lord British (Richard Garriot of Ultima series fame) tried selling his blood in a vial on eBay.

Talk about delusion of grandeur...

I can ignore them longer than they can advertise. Diablo is dead. Warcraft is dead. Starcraft is dead.
They have nothing else which I can even remotely show interest in.
Call of duty is a no no, overwatch is garbage, I'm coming back when they quit their skins and microtransactions selling spree.
That is, never.
For me, Diablo died with Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. I still play it now. It plays well both in Windows and Linux under WINE. Warcraft died with Warcraft III. Though my favourite is the Warcraft II, mostly due to nostalgic memories. It was a vast improvement over Warcraft I. Warcraft III spawned DOTA, which is equivalent to Counter Strike iteration from Half-Life.

While I'm a little put off by the fact that the PC is infused with human blood (probably just a few drops), I suppose that this is for a good cause.

I've spent significant time on all of the Diablo series with the exception of Immortal (haven't played) and Diablo 3 (didn't hook me like the others) and I must say that Diablo 4 Season 2 might be the most fun that I've had through all of it. Despite all of the haters yapping on every comment section about how the game is dead, the number of players showing up for this season says otherwise. I'm seeing as many players in-game now as when I did for the launch, if not more. I hope that they can build on this for the next season.

This is really quite disturbing and disgusting.

"The promotion features Blizzard's real-life blood harvest, a blood donation drive to help donation centers "harvest" 666 quarts of life-saving blood between October 20 and November 20."

Why? First of all, originally Diablo games were about fighting demons, why now is it about glorifying them?

Promoting 666 is an offense to the Christian faith. When are they going to get really brave and do something that is an offense to Islam? But, honestly, what is the purpose here? Why purposefully and deliberately offend Christians?

Lil Nas X did a promotion of shoes with 666 and blood in the soles a year or two ago. Blizzard seems to be copying that. Why? Again, if people want to believe that these people and organizations are Satanic, you give them plenty of reason to believe it. Of course, when people say it, you'll say, oh, it's just a joke, or for fun, or it's a conspiracy. But again, why would you do something like this?

Not that I think Microsoft is much better, but I really hope they clean house at Blizzard. I doubt they will, but one can at least hope.

Last edited:
Promoting 666 is an offense to the Christian faith. When are they going to get really brave and do something that is an offense to Islam? But, honestly, what is the purpose here? Why purposefully and deliberately offend Christians?
=)))))))))))
It's just a game.
Not buying it because eff MTX and always online.
Other than that, the more religious people are offended, the better.

Lil Nas X did a promotion of shoes with 666 and blood in the soles a year or two ago. Blizzard seems to be copying that. Why? Again, if people want to believe that these people and organizations are Satanic, you give them plenty of reason to believe it. Of course, when people say it, you'll say, oh, it's just a joke, or for fun, or it's a conspiracy. But again, why would you do something like this?
Why do you know this? I couldn't possibly care less about these modern American rappers or their music. I'm European and thus I listen to good music (rock, mainly).
Who cares about Lil Nas or about who is offended? Life is too short for me to care about these "stars" trying to make headlines by doing don't care what shenanigans.
BTW, I'm an atheist. So as far as I'm concerned, the Blizzard CEO and their drudges can cover themselves in body fluids and excrement if they deliver a good game.
I don't care if the guys creating Starcraft worship Satan, Jesus, Buddha or whatever imaginary deity they want. As long as the game is good, I'm buying.

Why do you know this? I couldn't possibly care less about these modern American rappers or their music. I'm European and thus I listen to good music (rock, mainly).
Who cares about Lil Nas or about who is offended? Life is too short for me to care about these "stars" trying to make headlines by doing don't care what shenanigans.
BTW, I'm an atheist. So as far as I'm concerned, the Blizzard CEO and their drudges can cover themselves in body fluids and excrement if they deliver a good game.
I don't care if the guys creating Starcraft worship Satan, Jesus, Buddha or whatever imaginary deity they want. As long as the game is good, I'm buying.
Because the article caught my attention a while back and I have a good memory.

I didn't come after anyone, but let me be clear, this kind of offensive stuff is only done to Christians. You won't see a major corporation insult Islam.

=)))))))))))
It's just a game.
Not buying it because eff MTX and always online.
Other than that, the more religious people are offended, the better.
You see this is the attitude? I didn't say anything to offend Atheist here, I was pointing out that the marketing is specifically targeted to be anti-Christian. Let's see if they'll do anything that is anti-any other religion. He's a hint, they won't.

I didn't come after anyone, but let me be clear, this kind of offensive stuff is only done to Christians. You won't see a major corporation insult Islam.
Would also need to give Islam lessons to a society that historically has been Christian. No one would know what you were talking about trying to tap the evil part of Islam for marketing.

"Al-Masih ad-Dajjal PC" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily either :p

As someone who was occasionally cut myself during the building/maintaining/upgrading of my desktop, I think I can make this claim as well. Granted it is a bit dried up at this point and doesn't have any fancy lighting on it.

Would also need to give Islam lessons to a society that historically has been Christian. No one would know what you were talking about trying to tap the evil part of Islam for marketing.

"Al-Masih ad-Dajjal PC" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily either :p
The point is, it wouldn't be acceptable, but you already know that.

The point is, it wouldn't be acceptable, but you already know that.
I really don't think the Muslims would care, as long as you leave Allah alone. Like the vast majority of Christians don't care as long as you leave Jesus and God alone.

It's funny how there's so many people getting offended for other people who aren't even offended these days. There's a term called virtue signalling gets bandied about, it's interesting to apply to different situations and see of it fits.

You see this is the attitude? I didn't say anything to offend Atheist here, I was pointing out that the marketing is specifically targeted to be anti-Christian. Let's see if they'll do anything that is anti-any other religion. He's a hint, they won't.
Atheists won't be either offended nor determine to kill you for not respecting their imaginary friend(s) :)))

Back