Blue Screen after installing USB Card & Updating Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreedar

I'm running Windows 2000 and installed a PCI USB card to add 4 extra USB ports, here's the exact card I installed: USB card

Everything was working fine I tested the new USB ports and they worked, when I got up the next day I had a blue screen and I didn't write down everything but it referenced NVENET.sys.

I thought I might need to install the drivers that came on the CD with the USB card even though Windows seemed to find the needed drivers and recognize the new installed card correctly.

After installing the drivers on the provided CD I now get a blue screen every time I boot just as it's about to start windows that says:
"STOP: 0X0000001E (0xC0000005,0xEB4E1F11,0x00000000,0x0000000C) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

I can however boot into safemode with networking (that's how I'm typing this now) and get no errors going in this way. I also tested the new USB card and it worked correctly reading my thumb drive.

I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and I'm sure that my problem is the new USB drivers but I'm unsure how to revert back to the original ones?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Neal

If this is the first time you have booted after installing the new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000.

Eddy Rassy said:
If this is the first time you have booted after installing the new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000.

No I've already rebooted, and I did try to remove the card but it didn't help - I'm guessing when I installed the drivers on the CD is where I messed up :dead:

I checked the box and it list Windows 2000, however the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List web site does not list it.

Fixed!

OK I found my old motherboard install CD and got the USB drivers off there and reinstalled while in safe mode and removed the USB card - rebooted and everything this great now!

So I'm good now but I noticed before removing the new card when checking in Device Mananger my original USB drivers were NVidia, and the new card drivers were NEC, was that the issue having two different kind of USB drivers?

If I want to add a card for additional USB ports should I make sure it's NVidia to avoid this problem?

jreedar said:
OK I found my old motherboard install CD and got the USB drivers off there and reinstalled while in safe mode and removed the USB card - rebooted and everything this great now!

So I'm good now but I noticed before removing the new card when checking in Device Mananger my original USB drivers were NVidia, and the new card drivers were NEC, was that the issue having two different kind of USB drivers?

If I want to add a card for additional USB ports should I make sure it's NVidia to avoid this problem?
Yes, I think it has to be Nvidia otherwise it will be conflicting. I suggest that you get a USB hub instead of a card. they are very cheap and they work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back