Blue Screen every 1-3 days - different errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I'm looking to get some advice about what I can do to troubleshoot my machine. For the past 4-6 months now my desktop experiences blue screens seemingly at random. It can happen while I'm using it, or while it's resting for a day or two. It throws a handful of errors, rarely with actual driver or file info. I feel that many of the errors are symptoms or results of a core problem that I cannot identify.

It all initially went down one day while I was playing a video game. I got a blue screen that I didn't catch (had auto-reboot on by default). I feared for a virus due to some recent mods I'd downloaded for the game. So after some virus scans and clean-ups I decided to re-install Windows. This didn't fix my problem.

The most common error I get is the 0x07E error. I also get 0x0a (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) about a third of the time. After a month or so, I began to get other errors like BAD_POOL_HEADER, BAD_POOL_CALLER, etc etc. I can post the whole list if it will help. This morning I woke up to a blue screen finally angry at NTFS.SYS. Seeing driver names with my blue screens is rare though.

I've had times where Windows begins to load (I see the load up screen) and it crashes with one of the myriad of errors. If I let it run and reboot it eventually loads up fully.

I've also more recently had situations where it tells me that Windows didn't load properly and if I choose to boot up normally, it fails to move on to the load up screen and instead restarts the machine.

Sometimes while running video games or other cpu hogs the program crashes and won't work -- claiming corrupt files. If I turn off my machine and wait a few seconds then turn it back on, the program runs fine again.

My video quality started to degenerate in my favorite video game (increased tearing) so I tried replacing my video card. The quality is normal again, but it didn't fix the blue screens. I've been wondering if overheating could be a problem. But my CPU temp doesn't seem to be too high as per its manual's specs even after a blue screen.

I've tried disabling most of my drivers and monitoring the system. But it's hard to gauge what's wrong since the blue screens occur intermittently. Should I continue to try this over a couple of days' time?

I've run memtest86 maybe 5 times. Twice it had errors. I moved my memory to different slots and it ran clean. Then I moved them back and it ran clean again. It's like the error throwing is intermittent too.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to post as much info as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks :) I'll get back to you by tomorrow evening with all of that.

I put my specs in my profile that should be clickable, but the big ones are:

CPU: Intel dual-core 3.0ghz E8400
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E wifi/ap-solo
Video: XFX ATI 4850 1GB
Memory: 2 1GB Corsair ddr2 800
HD1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320gb WD3200AAKS
HD2: Western Digital Caviar Green 500gb WD5000AACS

With the file corruption issues and ntfs.sys blue screens. I would also be looking at the integrity of your hard drive.

You can run WD diagnostic tools from here

You will have to create a bootable disk. Make sure you have a backup of anything you need, as some programs when 'repairing' bad sectors they will actually erase the data there.

Here is info on one of your BSODs A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the msot common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues, but I haven’t been able to confirm this as a cause.)

As strategic said, test your memory first and then see the results.

Is there an ISO version of that file? I'm sorry to say I don't have any floppy disk drives readily available. I can find one if necessary...

I have a WD Diagnostics software on my computer. I ran it and both harddrives passed its tests. I am a little suspicious of my 320gb HD though -- I'd only bought it 1-2 weeks before the initial blue screen, and this was the first time I began to run dual harddrives in the same computer. I thought perhaps the problem was using 2 HDDs. I've tried running just 1 HDD, including my old one, with Windows, but not for extended periods of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back