Boot existing XP drive from USB? ("Disk read error")

Mugsy

Long story short, I had XP installed on a SATA drive that did (and still does) boot from a SATA port in "IDE Mode". I removed the drive and put it in a USB enclosure. I can access the drive & files just fine but can't boot XP. Instead, I get the following error:

Code:
"A disk read error has occurred.
Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."

Is there a way to boot an existing installation of XP from a USB enclosure without reinstalling XP?

Long version: I upgraded to a SSD drive with Win7, but had to switch to "AHCI mode" to use it. I have six SATA-II ports, but can only set two to "IDE Mode". I have my old installation of Win7 on one and my BD optical drive on the other (allowing me to boot either). XP will NOT boot when plugged into an AHCI port, but will if I plug it into one of the two Sata/IDE ports.

For some inexplicable reason, connecting BOTH my XP and Win7 HDD's at the same time I'm using Win7 on my SSD causes the computer to bog-down every 30-60 seconds for two minutes at a time making the computer unusable (I never had this problem before the SSD). If I unplug EITHER HDD (Win7 or XP), the problem goes away. But my Win7-hdd drive is larger and I'm still migrating to the SSD, so I need that drive plugged into one of the SATA/IDE ports.

I removed the XP drive and put it into a USB enclosure. Problem solved (kinda). I can access all my files, but I can't boot XP (and I must switch off the drive when not in use, or the "bog-down" issue returns.)

Searching online proved this has something to do with XP's inability to boot a SATA drive from the USB port..

Anyone know of a fix? Thx.

Back