Boot problem

I had two hard drives on my system and I had windows10 and linux. well I was getting a msg that my one hard drive was failing, so I saved some things and pulled the failing hard drive. I can not boot into the good hard drive, I can get on with linux live cd's but I tried many things to fix the grub boot loader, I used gparted and tried to make room to install a linux system figurig that it would find grub. The problem there is it want's to format the drive, and I don't want to do that and loose everything. Any suggestions please?

"I had two hard drives on my system and I had windows10 and linux. well I was getting a msg that my one hard drive was failing, so I saved some things and pulled the failing hard drive."

What you seem to describe is some kind of 'dual boot' HDD which failed. Did you originally set that up or did someone do it for you?

I'm suggesting that you obtain a replacement HDD for the one you removed and to install OS (Windows & Linux) as you had before. Then, when that is operating properly, you can install the old working slave drive...and, possibly, be able to configure as you had things before the primary HDD failed.

Alternative would be to back up all the key files on the current working drive and to then re-partition, format and install OS as you wish.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955...linux-with-windows-what-you-need-to-know.html

Or am I missing something?

"I had two hard drives on my system and I had windows10 and linux. well I was getting a msg that my one hard drive was failing, so I saved some things and pulled the failing hard drive."

What you seem to describe is some kind of 'dual boot' HDD which failed. Did you originally set that up or did someone do it for you?

I'm suggesting that you obtain a replacement HDD for the one you removed and to install OS (Windows & Linux) as you had before. Then, when that is operating properly, you can install the old working slave drive...and, possibly, be able to configure as you had things before the primary HDD failed.

Alternative would be to back up all the key files on the current working drive and to then re-partition, format and install OS as you wish.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955...linux-with-windows-what-you-need-to-know.html

Or am I missing something?
I did put the second drive in and had it set up to dual boot. I did save almost everything, but to play it safe I thought I could fix the boot record and get everything back without formating the drive. Thank you for you help, I will re-partition, format and install the OS. Thanks again.

Back