Boot using a slave drive

BellyBob

How can I boot up my computer using a slave hard drive?
I have an additional hard drive and I know that MS-DOS 6.2 is installed on it.

I have installed the hard drive in my main computer. I have also jumpered the drive with MS-DOS 6.2 on it as a slave.
Both drives are being seen by the BIOS.

I have Windows 95 on my main computer, and ususally boot from that with no problem. Can I boot my main computer with the slave drive into MS-DOS 6.2? How?
Thanks

What do you do with it? Use it as a night-light. MS Support stopped for it a long time ago. Are you a senior citizen as I suspect?

What's with the insults?
No I do not use it as a night light.
So ...What if I am a senior citizen? What difference does that make?
I don't care if Microsoft has dropped support for Windows 95.
If you can't help, please don't reply with more insults.

It's not an insult because I am a senior citizen too, but I have been working with computers since the '70's and I still build them and repair them. I install nothing but XP, Pro Service Pack 3. I threw away my Windows 98SE discs 5 years ago and Windows 95 was loaded using floppy disks. I work with a lot of seniors using XP. I will not even look at older systems with less than XP loaded any longer... Including yours :) Good luck

I don't need you to look at my system and I didn't ask you to.
I don't care if you have been building systems in the past.
I don't care if you threw away your old software.
I don't care if you have worked with senior citizens.
I don't care if you are a senior citizen.
I don't care if you think you did not insult me.
Can I boot from a slave drive? How?
Anyone else on this forum know?

Can you trade it in for an XP computer? You may be on a fixed income, but that is really no reason to stay in the "dark ages". People are giving away free much better computers at garage sales all the time :confused: Windows 95 had a lot of short-comings... Windows 98SE was pretty good. Too bad you never experienced it. Bill Gates is a few years younger than I am. Are you typing from a cell phone?

I found the way to boot from a slave drive.
I ran the FDISK.COM program and made the partition on the second hard drive an "Active" partition.
The FDISK.COM program is included with MS-DOS and Windows 95.
Now my computer boots up MS-DOS from the slave hard drive, as long as the master is connected also on the same cable.
The "Active partition" is the partition the computer boots from.

Back