Booting problem

Hi guys,

New user to the forum, first time post. Be gentle :)

So I'm rebuilding my house mates PC at the moment and I'm quite new to this PC malarky. I suspected the previous hard drive had failed because I got this message after a blue screen:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

After purchasing a new hard drive and installing Windows XP on to a new partition, I am getting the same message on bootup. I am still fairly new to the techie side of this but from what I can gather:

1) this isn't a hard drive related hard drive fault as this same error message has come up on both the old and new drive

2) it isn't a boot.ini or a Ntoskrnl.exe file issue as this fresh install has been done on both hard drives now and it doesn't get as far as booting the OS.

I can't find anything that specifically relates to this problem and wondered if anyone had had any similar issues. I'm wondering if my install disc is a bit wonky!

Any help much appreciated.

Are you still getting Blue Screens?

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Back