Bosch launches its miniature chainsaw

midian182

Staff member

Have you ever held an enormous, powerful chainsaw in your hands and thought: “This is great, but I wish it was so small that I could fit it in my (admittedly spacious) pocket?" Probably not. But for those who do long for a fun-sized version of Leatherface’s favorite weapon, Bosch has you covered with the EasyCut 12.

The German engineering and electronics company isn’t actually referring to the device as a chainsaw; it prefers the term “cordless mini-saw.” But the fact it looks like a chainsaw made for leprechauns that's been attached to a hand unit is glaring.

This is no novelty item, though; the vibration-free device is said to give a straighter cut than a jigsaw. It has a cutting depth of 2.55 inches in wood and 1.18 inches in plastic, weighs just under 2 pounds, and comes with a no-load speed of 4,000rpm. Bosch says it’s the world’s first saw blade with a micro-chain with 44 teeth.

Bosch adds that its SDS system allows the saw's Nanoblade to be changed without requiring additional tools, and you can use its 12v battery and charger to juice the company’s other cordless power tools.

While there are plenty of other cordless miniature saws available, many designed specifically for indoor or outdoor use, the versatility of the EasyCut 12 could make it popular. T3 reports that the saw quickly sold out when it launched at the Royal Horticultural Show in Chelsea, UK. Even the Queen of England’s husband, the now-retired Prince Phillip, is said to have bought one, perhaps to scare off the British paparazzi while he’s out and about.

No word on a US release or price, but a direct conversion from pounds works out at around $167.

Permalink to story.

Have you ever held an enormous, powerful chainsaw in your hands and thought: “This is great".
Yes, a few times. But I've never never thought about it being smaller, just thought about wanting to check out it's power and effectiveness on a few peoples necks.

Oh, you can bet some whacked out nut job will rob a store and or kill someone with one of these.
Shoot, wouldn't surprise me if the IS IS bunch uses this.

Have you ever held an enormous, powerful chainsaw in your hands and thought: “This is great".
Yes, a few times. But I've never never thought about it being smaller, just thought about wanting to check out it's power and effectiveness on a few peoples necks.
I can not get out of my mind that early scene with Pacino in the movie Scarface, involving a chainsaw and a drug deal gone bad.

This is too small. I have a 16 inch bar on my Husqvarna which is perfect for doing my firewood. I often wish I had a one handed (armed) chainsaw. This toy is for reporters that get body slammed by real men. A workshop chainsaw? Really? It'll sell

No video anywhere and the pictures are not showing it as it actually cuts wood for real. Something smells fishy.

"It has a cutting depth of 2.55 inches in wood and 1.18 inches in plastic"

Just a slight problem with that. Standard "dimension lumber" IE, a "2 by 4", is about 1 5/8" thick after planing. The next size up, say "4 by 4" is about 3 1/2" thick, which renders the tool useless.

Besides, if those "micro teeth" aren't carbide tipped, you're liable to be buying chains every other day.

*really ignorant men

A real man in such situation would be able to answer the question without resulting to violence.

I agree though this saw is for wimps

I enjoyed that patty cake getting slammed and make no excuses for my enjoyment. "You broke my glasses"
He should got up and started swinging even if he got pulped. There are many smiles going around in private. Mine? Not private

Back