Box patterns when I play a 3D game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS
CPU: AMD A64 x2 4400+ @ 2.3GHz
PSU: ATX switching power supply with 450W max.

Graphic Card: PNY Geforce 8600GT 512MB GDDR3

when i run counter strike source

MANY boxes appear and fill up the whole screen in a pattern and they are usually
green or a bright purple
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
****This happens with EVERY game i play.****

Sometimes even videos in windows media player.

When i first tried my PNY GeForce 8600GT with Counter strike source,
this problem didnt happen, i was even running at HIGH everything
Anti Aliasing and anistropic filtering at 150 FPS+, then
suddenly when i tried to run counter strike source,this happened.

My graphics card runs at around 60C.

if you can, provide me with any help you can give. Thank you very much.

* I believe the boxes are called artifacts*
and they are laid out in a chess like pattern.

If your card is running at 60C when the artifacting happens, then you've got to get a new one. Otherwise if the card's temp exceeds 70C while heavy gaming, it's overheating. You can log temperatures over a period of time by using the appropriate function in a program like RivaTuner and letting it record the temperatures in the background while you play a game.

Doesn't your motherboard have onboard graphics? Enable it if needed and connect your monitor to that and if the artifacts go away, the 8600GT is bad.

Ive done that many times already. (connected the monitor to my onboard graphics) And Yes, the artifacts do go away.Now, i have installed all the latest drivers, disabled onboard graphics when installing my 8600GT andinstalled the grpahics card with the anti virus off and nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

As I said before, if the artifacts go away, the 8600GT is bad. I suggest replacing the graphics card. If the card is still under warranty, consider exchanging it at the retailer or manufacturer (whichever is applicable). If you send it back to the manufacturer or to an online vendor, get an RMA first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back