Boxes of RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GPUs have been photographed on their way to LA

mongeese

Staff
Highly anticipated: Pallets of MSI GPUs have been photographed in transit to Los Angeles. In amidst the eclectic assortment is the upcoming "GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 12G OC," which will, as the armchair generals of the forums have it, release in a month’s time.

Caught in the camera’s lens are a handful of pallets, each containing a dozen boxes of maybe a hundred GPUs. The well-protected crate is labeled with the 3090 and aforementioned 3080 Ti. The cardboard boxes contain GeForce GT 710’s and Radeon RX 580’s.

If the 3080 Ti is shipping to distribution centers now, then it should release soon. The popular prediction is mid-May. The expectation that the Ti will be paired with 12 GB of memory also finds support in MSI’s package label; the "12G" in the card’s lengthy name couldn’t mean much else, but there’s some risk of it being incorrect.

The current, if dubious predictions about the Ti pin the card’s core count at 10,240 and its boost clock at 1,665 MHz. If those figures are true, then it will perform like a 3090, but with a little luck, it’ll be priced closer to the vanilla 3080.

It could even be cheaper if it has a built-in mining limiter that makes it less valuable to the crypto-crazed. And if the mining limiter works…

Permalink to story.

Actually if the photos have been taken on the way to L.A. my reaction isn't "Oh there might be cards available at some stores" but "I'm sure scalpers and miners are already trying to find out where it's shipping to in order to be able to get there first and buy it all before it even hits store inventory officially"

Nvidia should be getting 3080, 3070, and 3060s in stock reliably first before doing this. All this does is introduce another SKU pulling from limited production capacity and limited supply capacity for capacitors, PCBs, GDDR6X RAM, ece.

Nvidia should be getting 3080, 3070, and 3060s in stock reliably first before doing this. All this does is introduce another SKU pulling from limited production capacity and limited supply capacity for capacitors, PCBs, GDDR6X RAM, ece.

Actually not necessarily but the other way around: The way this SKUs likely work at least for the 3080 is that it's the exact same ship for 3090, 3080ti and 3080. So, if a production chip comes out really good it becomes a 3090 otherwise some parts that don't meet the standards might be artificially limited or even disabled and become a lower SKU.

Even if it is a different, newer die, Nvidia still has the option of either releasing the worst yield chips as "3070 ti" or even come up with an entirely new SKU like "3080 super" so chips that are not quite "ti" material can still be sold.

It's part of why their naming convention gets so ridiculous at the mid tier levels: you have so many different xx60 cards because they really utilize as many chips as they can and once they build enough inventory of "rejected" chips they just release them as a brand new SKU.

I have been running a browser extension to get immediate alerts when the 3070 is in stock. The other day the alert went off and I clicked add to card on a Bestbuy 3070 in under 3 seconds. Guess what? I was unable to complete the purchase. So unless you are running a bot or script that makes a purchase in under 1 second after it becomes available I suspect you will not be able to get a 3000 series gpu. Nvidia thinks the shortage will continue throughout 2021. Have a nice day!

Actually not necessarily but the other way around: The way this SKUs likely work at least for the 3080 is that it's the exact same ship for 3090, 3080ti and 3080. So, if a production chip comes out really good it becomes a 3090 otherwise some parts that don't meet the standards might be artificially limited or even disabled and become a lower SKU.

Even if it is a different, newer die, Nvidia still has the option of either releasing the worst yield chips as "3070 ti" or even come up with an entirely new SKU like "3080 super" so chips that are not quite "ti" material can still be sold.

It's part of why their naming convention gets so ridiculous at the mid tier levels: you have so many different xx60 cards because they really utilize as many chips as they can and once they build enough inventory of "rejected" chips they just release them as a brand new SKU.
Great point about binning, except for the fact that the lowest tier in that list, the 3080, is just as limited in supply as the 3090. If the 3080 was the new model you'd have a point about them using defective dies for additional products, but this chip's introductionwould require chips that are not quite 3090s but also too good for 3080s, meaning without the 3080ti these chips would have become 3080s.

Every die that becomes a 3080ti is a chip that doesnt become a 3080. It isnt adding additional chips into the supply chain that would otherwise be thrown out, and therefore isnt goign to help the supply issue at all.

Great point about binning, except for the fact that the lowest tier in that list, the 3080, is just as limited in supply as the 3090. If the 3080 was the new model you'd have a point about them using defective dies for additional products, but this chip's introductionwould require chips that are not quite 3090s but also too good for 3080s, meaning without the 3080ti these chips would have become 3080s.

Every die that becomes a 3080ti is a chip that doesnt become a 3080. It isnt adding additional chips into the supply chain that would otherwise be thrown out, and therefore isnt goign to help the supply issue at all.
Exactly, good point.

They only care to milk the $$$ cow even more...

Is 14GB GDDR6X and $1000 not very wide? Jfc..
He's talking about PERFORMANCE, ding dong. Stop being intentionally obtuse.

Adn the new card will only have 12GB of RAM, its nto like this is some 16GB card that sits between the 10GB 3080 and 24GB 3090. This is a marginal improvement over a 3080 when the 3080 is nipping at the 3090's heels.

Maybe I’ll wait on line to see if I can get one.

I am so thankful I have my 3090 FTW3!

24GB vs. 14GB... and because of scalpers, this 3080Ti will end up being near-impossible to get and cost more to buy than the $1799 ($1955 with tax) I spent.

Last edited:
Is 14GB GDDR6X and $1000 not very wide? Jfc..
Only memory. The gap in price is $800 really (according to MSRP). But the performance difference is not very wide. $1500 for 3090 was excessive. Now the new card brings 12 GB in VRAM. It's very little, 16GB would have been more interesting. Control sucks up 12.5GB of VRAM sometimes. Future games will be more demanding. So, regarding performance, the difference between the 3080Ti and the 3090 will be negligible.

I would have been really happy if the title of this article was:

"Boxes of RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GPUs have been photographed on their way to Vleuten (UT) in the Netherlands" 😎

Crates of canned mushrooms that someone printed an 8.5 x 11 page saying rtx and attached. Californians, don't get ready for gaming, get ready for soup!

At this point I'm not holding out much hope of a gpu upgrade until late 2020. And if you want good value then the signs are pointing to 2023. Supply just can't keep up with demand. Even with mining limiting, these things will be like hen's teeth.
I long for the years when PC gaming was niche, and you were one of the few people who picked up a gpu down in the local game/electronics shop.

Maybe I’ll wait on line to see if I can get one.

I am so thankful Inhave my 3090 FTW3!

Right?

Like it so easy to tell who has actually gotten a card properly and those who have not gotten one at all or got screwed to get it.

You can be all salty you like please don't even attempt to get... You obviously "proven" its impossible... Meanwhile I'll be trying to get my hands on one so I can sell for my day 1 3080 to easily pay for it.

A card that cost me $699 of the $1050 I got from selling my 2080ti the weeks before.

The high end game requires lots of work and planning but if you're doing it right it's easily affordable if not profitable.

And no before you even begin...

No bots used no scalping after no paying anything but what the cards were set to cost msrp + tax + ship.

I knew what was coming and planned accordingly.

And for that last guy saying it was a fluke.

I'd introduce you to the 11 other 3080 / 3090 receipts in my email (from September to December last year).

All my real life friends and family who wanted cards and realized what a s*it show it was knew who to turn to.

9 went to them and I upgraded my personal 3080 (from Asus tuf day 1 to evga xc3 to ftw3 ultra)

I got each and every one with nothing but my browser saved checkout data and good notifications ( both others running them and even some personal web refresh extension on my pc and phone)

So yes PLEASE assume it's impossible because I KNOW I've got to deal with the bots and scalpers and it be great if I didn't ALSO have to deal with you.

I hate when freight gets shipped on those type pallets. people love to break the bottoms and ship them to the next place so they can worry about it

Back