BP is buying Tesla Superchargers worth $100 million for its EV charging network

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? London-based oil and gas company BP has announced that it has signed a deal with Tesla to buy $100 million worth of EV chargers, marking the first time Tesla's DC fast-charging hardware is being purchased on a large scale by another company for deployment in a third-party charging network. The agreement is part of BP's plans to invest up to $1 billion in EV charging across the U.S. by 2030.

In a press release announcing the deal, BP said that the new chargers will be acquired by its EV charging business, named BP Pulse, which has already installed more than 27,000 charge points globally and plans to increase that to more than 100,000 by 2030. The company also said that it is buying the super-fast 250 kilowatt chargers, which are known as Superchargers in Tesla parlance. However, they will not look like traditional Tesla Superchargers, and will be branded with a 'BP Pulse' logo instead.

BP will use an in-house charge management software called 'Omega' to optimize charging at its locations. While the press release didn't reveal a great deal, The Verge is reporting that it supports a Plug-and-Charge protocol that eradicates the need for a card tap or app activation. That would make charging super easy, enabling drivers to simply pull up, plug in, and let the software take care of everything else.

BP Pulse will begin installing the Tesla Superchargers next year across its U.S. network, including at key BP, Amoco, Thorntons, and TravelCenters of America locations. Some of the chargers will also be installed at the company's Gigahub charging sites, near airports and in major metropolitan areas, as well as select third-party locations, including those operated by car rental company Hertz. The first cities where BP will install the Tesla chargers include Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington D.C.

The chargers will be compatible with most EVs currently on U.S. roads, thanks to Tesla's 'Magic Dock' adapters that work not only with the company's own North American Charging Standard (NACS) connectors, but also the Combined Charging System (CCS) charging port used by most other EV manufacturers, including BMW, Daimler, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Polestar, Rivian, Ford, GM, and others.

Permalink to story.

Good, telsas charging network is far superior to electrify america or any of the smaller players, and the new v4 models have credit card readers built in, so no app required.

If these were positioned every 200 miles on every highway EV adoption would be way higher then it is now.

Excellent news. The EV market continues to gain momentum. My next EV will definitely need to have the Plug-and-Charge protocol. Not that it's difficult to use the app or a credit card, but one less step is nice.

Ah was hoping this was in the UK. We've got a lot of EV charging points popping up in car parks and petrol stations but nowhere near enough. I think the ban on combustion engine traditional car sales has been delayed by 5 years to 2035 which knowing our political system just means they will kick the can of investing to the next government, as if they don't have enough to invest in.

Tesla is one of those companies that will eventually become better known for its charging network than its actual cars, smart investment and angle on the part of Elmo.

If our government wasn't just totally paralyzed all the time, its high time the Weights and Measures guys got in and standardized EV station specs and chargers. I don't have to worry about a bunch of compatibility crap when I go to gas up my car, should be the same with EVs.

It will be awkward through when we have millions of these things installed and that special someone decides he wants to call them "Weenus McDingleberrie Stations" and I guess we all just kinda have to go along...

Cars isn't the way to go. But they locked you in. Stupid stupid people doing the same crap ideas over and over.
This argument has been debunked how many times now? Even your glorious "walkable city meca" of the netherlands STILL HAS HIGHWAYS, and 1/5th of the population still uses their car every single day.

Those walkable cities people love to dream about existed, complete with light rail and trams; the moment the car became viable they were torn up because nobody wants to live in a crowded, filthy, crime riddled city when they can drive somewhere nice. Everyone who wants a walkable city can live in places like chicago, new york, or san francisco, but they ironically start whining about crime, and drugs, and high prices and small apartments, not realizing that this is exactly what they wanted.

The car is a useful tool, and its not going away. Get over it. If you dont like them, then go live in one of the walkable cities and enjoy the "hustle and bustle". Nobody is forcing you to own one in the era of online ordering and remote work.

Last edited:
This argument has been debunked how many times now? Even your glorious "walkable city meca" of the netherlands STILL HAS HIGHWAYS, and 1/5th of the population still uses their car every single day.

Those walkable cities people love to dream about existed, complete with light rail and trams; the moment the car became viable they were torn up because nobody wants to live in a crowded, filthy, crime riddled city when they can drive somewhere nice. Everyone who wants a walkable city can live in places like chicago, new york, or san francisco, but they ironically start whining about crime, and drugs, and high prices and small apartments, not realizing that this is exactly what they wanted.

The car is a useful tool, and its not going away. Get over it. If you dont like them, then go live in one of the walkable cities and enjoy the "hustle and bustle". Nobody is forcing you to own one in the era of online ordering and remote work.

Let's not exaggerate the crime - NYC is pretty safe , same as London etc - reading too much fake media - would have you believe you will be mugged in 2 minutes and every 5 minutes after

Given that easy for London , Singapore , Manhattan, Bronx to have mass transit as enough population for the density

Also crime is an excuse - if it was so bad would you even park your car in these areas - stop at lights etc

Given that NZ has the same problem as most of American cities - living in the suburbs -buses take way longer , not regular enough and the lightrail nearly universally adored is super super expensive ( light rail is great - like a scenic tour - 100s of people on and off in less than a minute - no traffic lights to worry about etc )

But we have to come up with new solutions
I keep banging on - but cheap AI little electric bubble cars - or so easy to drive for city centres - with most ICE banned or taxed , or limited access for business , builders etc
Then add in other EV options ( bikes etc )

It will get to stage where just easier in some countries to rent long distance EVs as necessary- many people in London, Paris ( especially childless ) do not have cars - but rent for holidays etc

And the electrical grid can't handle the load now...what's going to happen when thousands of these things plug in? Plus, the range is DECREASED when it's cold outside.
Would be interesting to see the true test. Weather the coldest, electric grid experiences problems like it happened some time ago. And all that with at least half the cars being EVs.
We need more reliable grid with backups if all of our future cars are to rely on electricity to run.
And that I guess is just another fat reason to make electricity more expensive.

And it all needs now.

Let's not exaggerate the crime - NYC is pretty safe , same as London etc - reading too much fake media - would have you believe you will be mugged in 2 minutes and every 5 minutes after

Given that easy for London , Singapore , Manhattan, Bronx to have mass transit as enough population for the density

Also crime is an excuse - if it was so bad would you even park your car in these areas - stop at lights etc

Given that NZ has the same problem as most of American cities - living in the suburbs -buses take way longer , not regular enough and the lightrail nearly universally adored is super super expensive ( light rail is great - like a scenic tour - 100s of people on and off in less than a minute - no traffic lights to worry about etc )

But we have to come up with new solutions
I keep banging on - but cheap AI little electric bubble cars - or so easy to drive for city centres - with most ICE banned or taxed , or limited access for business , builders etc
Then add in other EV options ( bikes etc )

It will get to stage where just easier in some countries to rent long distance EVs as necessary- many people in London, Paris ( especially childless ) do not have cars - but rent for holidays etc
Like I said, if you like the "hustle and bustle" of cities, then you can go live in them, and they are walk-able by your own admission! So what is your complaint exactly? Why are you whining about cities being car centric when you admit there are cities that are not, that you seem to think are good? That there are walk-able cities, but you dont want to live there because??? Why dont you go live there? Do you just take issue with people not wanted to live in pods, or people whom enjoy owning automobiles and the freedom they provide?

One of the great things about the Tesla network compared to others is, in general they are online most of the time, and in general most bays are working. (Mind you, you should hear the complaints when they're not.) This is only achieved by regular and prompt maintenance. Good on BP for going with the technology, but I hope they commit to keeping it working too; all too often I have found non-Tesla sites offline for months with no notice or advice when they'll be fixed.

Like I said, if you like the "hustle and bustle" of cities, then you can go live in them, and they are walk-able by your own admission! So what is your complaint exactly? Why are you whining about cities being car centric when you admit there are cities that are not, that you seem to think are good? That there are walk-able cities, but you dont want to live there because??? Why dont you go live there? Do you just take issue with people not wanted to live in pods, or people whom enjoy owning automobiles and the freedom they provide?

Maybe I wrote some incompressible garbage - but you missed my points I wanted to make

NZ has one of the highest car/capita in the world - so as I said the suburbs were created with the car in mind - I did live in London for 5 years and enjoyed it - didn't own a car there - as had no need

All I saying is with new tech and new paradigms - our human created reliance on each having a car or 2 will decrease
Why is there so many big companies wanting the holy grail of driverless EV taxis for cities ?
The electric bike is no great taking kids to their sports games - picking up the weekly supermarket shop for a large family ( plus frozen stuff needed to be got home )

Lots of Kiwis, Aussies, Canadian and American families have 2 cars - surely we can get that down to one - ban most ICE SUV/Cars in city centres - only larger EVs if carrying multiple people - just allowed all weather zippy EV golf carts - 2 seats - shopping in back
Car and ride - most cars have only 1 person in them

Smaller less land given to parking lots - cheap , easy to maintain
Still have your 1 big CE/EV/Hydrogen whatever car if you need it for trips , arounfd the suburb as a family

You would actually have more freedom - safer to bike , quick and zippy , easier to find car parks + add in comunal city ones to hire

Did you have a motorbike when younger? -was a lot of freedom - walk out - while putting helmet on - jump start and down road - while the older you is still backing your car out

You increase space and visibility on the road wihsmall EVs in city centre - not huge massive SUVs blocking sight from turning - or see on coming cars - if they park near corners etc

Few of us want to lose as cars as current alternatives are pretty rubbish - but I saying in future that needed be the case - Easier night out if driverless EV small bubble cars are cheap as -no DUI , no worry about someone keying car , no worry about some dodgy uber/taxi driver if a woman

Anyway ICE cars are getting banned in many city centres already or have to pay a "toll" fee

Breathing in exhaust fumes - will be as weird as suffering second hand smokers

Lets just hope they keep expanding it and don't let it fall into disrepair in order to boost more gas sales .... yes, it could happen ....

The ubiquity of canopies covering filling stations across the planet provides an excellent starting point to begin making these sites less dependent on the grid. Simply scale up the size of the canopy to cover the majority of the footprint of the stations property and cover the top surface with solar tiles or panels. At around 15w/ square foot average generation in North America with a coverage area of say 150ftx150ft for a smaller site you'd be up around 330Kw/hr. Round it down to 300 for losses and real life effects and that's 3 full size EV's like a Model S/X, Mach e or Lightning kind of size you could charge per hour completely off grid. Factor in that most folks are not running the battery to 0 and are topping up closer to 50% charge and you've got one charger out of say 8 on a site that foot print that is totally self sufficient.

I spit balled the site size and number of chargers based on the average size of an Esso site like the one I worked at during College, as far as I can tell the layout of everything from the pumps to the convenience store is effectively identical everywhere from France to Hawaii. There's no reason that in more rural areas you could structure the legislation such that a few similarly sized parcels of land surrounding the site would also have to be purchased for solar infrastructure to bring the sites grid pull down to basically zero or even create a type of peaker plant out of the sites built in batteries to stabilize the grid. Think a combined filling station and electrical substation in one package.

Much more difficult to deploy in dense urban areas but that is only for now as most skyscrapers are clad in a huge surface are of glass at high altitude with ample access to solar energy. simply retrofitting the top 30% of floors windows with glass that has embedded solar cells is an easy win (though expensive without government grants) for bringing those buildings grid draw down substantially so as to free up grid space for charging stations and electrified public transit. This change will continue to creep into bits of legislation and structural design, very few countries will pull a Finland and just decide in one swing that Nuclear is the answer and change course in one move to restructure the power infrastructure of the entire country. Definitely the correct idea in that case though as that far north Nuclear just makes so much sense, same as Canada did with the CANDU reactor program throughout the 80's and 90's (till we stopped and left the project well funded but unfinished).

Your type of post is not welcomed here - we have a huge mix of people - keep it civil
I'm sick of people trying to take my car away so they deserved it. I very much enjoy driving, they have a right to not drive or own a car but stop trying to take mine away from me.

I sold my Tesla model Y and replaced it with a gasoline BMW X6. I live out in on the west coast of the USA and the distances here are enormous. The Tesla was a lot of fun but its hugely impractical, some trips requiring me to add an hour or more of charging stops. The roads here can get quite bad and Teslas are not good in snow or terrain. I much prefer driving the BMW, its such a nicer car to be in and has way more space, way better clearance and handles snow really well. I think im over electric cars, given the choice I dont think I would buy one again but I fear that choice may be taken away from me. I just hope they can make them better before that happens because right now I really dont want to deal with all that hassle again.

Also the amount of times you forget to plug the dam thing in. If only you could just drive onto a pad and it inducts thousands of watts into your car somehow!

I'm sick of people trying to take my car away so they deserved it. I very much enjoy driving, they have a right to not drive or own a car but stop trying to take mine away from me.
Unless you lose your license - or in very limited areas - eg central london- no one is stopping you from driving - you may pay more road taxes in certain countries for ICE cars
Even banning the sale of ICE cars will still mean you can drive your existing ICE car
If you are my age - be grateful for years of cheap gas , road trips , sunday drives, cruising etc

The hope is the young can still get the freedom/independence from driving like we did - in a more sustainable way -EVs can be seriously sporty - so that just leaves classic cars

If battery tech gets really good - then you can get things like the Kombi Van - as no need for cooling motor - so freedom to go to beach, forest , desert , road trip USA etc

As a Kiwi I travelled across the USA by driveways /hitchhiking in 88 ( 6 months Miami -La - to NYC -- then in 98 when California , SW , 4 Corners , SD, Wy ,Mo - Alberta , BC , Yukon, Alaska , Washington , Oregon back to Ca ( 6 months ) .
89' Hitched from Houston to Mexico/Central America ( travelled around their by bus and train - not hitching the north of Mexico in Sinaloa lands - then hitched San Diego to Vancouver , to Quebec city to Vermont , Boston then train to NYC
In that last big trip was surprised not to see many young people doing road trips
Been to Hawaii twice renting vehicles as well - on different Islands

70 cents a gallon in 88 in Texas , maybe 120-140 in 98 ( think refinery fires that year in Ca. ) - In yukon I got native american price in some places - so must have liked me

Did other road trips in other continents to boot - so yes I'm grateful

Not to get too political but... BP made astronomical amounts of money from the oil crisis and now, the living standard drop we're going through, bills are at a record high.

Our government refused to tax them properly as "BP had promised to double investments into green energy into the UK economy", even though those investments slowed in 2023.

Turns out, BP are just going to use all that money to invest in other parts of the world, removing the money from being used in the UK at all. Way to go government, way to go...

Back