Brave browser now has a built-in crypto wallet that supports crypto assets and NFTs

jsilva

In brief: Brave users that updated their browser should've noticed it now features a built-in crypto wallet. With it, cryptocurrency and NFT holders can manage their portfolios without needing to install third-party extensions, reducing the exposure of their crypto holdings and the usage of system resources.

The ever-growing number of crypto investors and businesses like PayPal, AMC, and Newegg accepting cryptocurrency as a payment method has led to a surge of new crypto wallets. Current crypto wallet offerings include hardware and software-based solutions working as hot or cold wallets, all with their own pros and cons.

With Brave wallet, the browser developer aims to provide an alternative solution that avoids the security risks of software wallets, which are more susceptible to phishing scams and theft. Moreover, you can connect it to hardware wallets like Trezor and Ledger (Ledger Live isn't required) and import assets from Brave Crypto Wallets, MetaMask and other wallets.

Also read: 5 Google Chrome Alternatives That Do Things Better

The Brave wallet also allows users to see crypto market graphs in real-time (based on CoinGecko's data), compare token prices across various providers/exchanges with built-in swap capabilities and send and receive assets and NFTs. Other capabilities users can expect include buying fiat currency through Wyre, managing their portfolio and DApp support on any EVM compatible chains (Polygon, xDai, Avalanche and more), and L2s. Support for the Solana blockchain is planned for 2022.

"The Brave wallet requires no extensions and is instead browser-native, removing key performance and security concerns while preserving the core features of popular crypto wallets," said Brian Bondy, CTO and co-founder of Brave. "The Brave wallet offers our over 42 million users, and anyone seeking a crypto wallet without extensions, a high-performance, highly secure, and full-featured wallet built for today’s crypto user."

To access Brave wallet, you'll need the Brave browser updated to version 1.32. Then, open the browser and click on the wallet icon located in the top right corner. Users can also access it by typing "brave://wallet" in the address bar, clicking 'wallet' on the main menu, or by going to the settings page (brave://settings/) and clicking on the wallet tab.

The Brave wallet is based on an open MPL license that allows developers to contribute to its development. At the moment, the Brave wallet is only available for the desktop browser, with plans to implement it on the mobile app soon.

Permalink to story.

I'm a long time Firefox user and I switched to Brave because I was tired of Mozilla pushing non-tech related morals onto others. I'm not really a fan of crypto but I can keep those features off in Brave. They recently came out with "Brave Search" which is similar to DuckDuckGo but instead of relying on Google, it's built and indexed from the ground up. It's got a long way to go, but it shows promise.

The founder of Brave is a visionary and long-time tech leader so you know that Brave is going be competitive. The man is Brendan Eich, inventor of JavaScript, co-founder and longtime CTO of Mozilla, and briefly the CEO of it before he was cancelled and pushed out of the company for having privately-held conservative beliefs. Nowadays it seems like that played for the best considering the renewed competition.

I used Brave for quite a bit after it first released. I liked it quite alot, but it seemed to develop some odd page loading issues after a few months, meaning pages would take longer to load than usual even compared to pre-Edge Explorer or Chrome. I tried reinstalling and it still didn't help so not sure what was going on with that.

I got impatient waiting on quite a few of the promised or in-progress features such as the crypto wallet and the ability to sync bookmarks and open tabs between multiple devices since it's on PC and mobile. The syncing just never seemed to work correctly, especially on iOS.

I may just give them another try here to see the new updates.

I used brave when I had my note10+ but once I moved to the s21 ultra, I couldn't stand it due not supporting 120hz refresh rate. Wish they would allow it support the higher refresh rate.

Hi help needed I bought a .wallet from unstopabble minted and sent to brave browser but cannot find it , it was successful after minting and sent to brave but I cannot find it hopeful someone has a answer

Back