Brazilian hacker brings down NASA homepage, mistakes it for NSA's

David Tom

brazilian nasa nsa hacking security

Last week, NASA got an interesting surprise when 14 of their websites were taken down by an experienced Brazilian hacker. The cyberattack targeted pages by NASA’s Ames Research Center, including one which contained information about the Kepler Space telescope.

Although he was successful in bringing the sites down, the hacker may have accidentally targeted the wrong organization. The intended recipient would appear to be the NSA, but somehow an extra letter was incorrectly inserted into the domain name.

The hacker left this passionate response on the NASA domain on Friday, explaining his motivation behind the attack:

“NASA HACKED! BY #BMPoCWe! Stop spy on us! The Brazilian population do not support your attitude! The Illuminati are now visibly acting!

Obama heartless! Inhumane! you have no family? the point in the entire global population is supporting you. NOBODY! We do not want war, we want peace!!! Do not attack the Syrians.”

Despite a misplaced letter providing us with a somewhat reasonable explanation, other evidence would suggest that the mistake was intentional. This isn’t the first time that the accused hacker has targeted NASA, going after 4 more of the space program’s pages in April. Furthermore, unlike the NSA’s domains which are heavily protected, NASA is known for its relatively relaxed security measures, making it a popular destination among the hacking community.

Regardless of whether NASA was the intended recipient or not, the compromised webpages certainly raised awareness about Brazil’s anger towards the United States. After learning that their nation is the second most monitored country by the NSA, followed only by the US, Brazil is understandably unhappy.

In response to this knowledge, Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff recently cancelled a planned trip to Washington, and the country is now looking for a way to completely disconnnect itself from US' internet; a task that is easier said than done.

Permalink to story.

Think 'maybe' a Non-American/Brazilian doesnt know the difference between NASA and the NSA? He probably thinks they're the same organization.

Do you really think its a mistake ?...
its a big American target he wanted his letter to make a buzz he found this target is easy to hack so he did it
its still victory for him he sees that he delivered his message to USA thats all
thy don't see it as NSA is spying thy see it as USA is spying there for USA is the target

I am Iraqi long ago I spent lots of my time into these communities thy don't care who is the target as long as its American to deliver there message thy don't care if its the CIA website or McDonalds

Interesting age we are entering, people start writing viruses before they learn to spell...
Yes because brazilians are expected to know the english language and everything about America, because you know everything about brazil, and you speak fluent Portuguese

Well if you're going to make a political statement you should probably make sure you target the right place.

Well if you're going to make a political statement you should probably make sure you target the right place.
Doesnt matter what he targeted, he spited the US goverment and called them out. Thats all he wanted and needed to do. Im sure him and his drinking buddies all got a great laugh out of it as we did. :p

Interesting age we are entering, people start writing viruses before they learn to spell...
I'm still waiting for one of these fearless non-English speakers to take down the CIA......there is nowhere safe from their damn operatives with their tall hats and white battledress.

The funny thing is: why would USA spy on a country that has no precedence of being a target for international terrorism, has not been in a war for the last 100 years and, above all, where everything is half-assed?
The answer is simple, petroleum.

Petroleum, throughout the last century, was the element (along with other technologies as electricity) that has most allowed work's increase in social productivity and provide, in unprecedented scale, the movement of goods and people. And produce them with less effort. Thus, allowing more accumulation.
And right now (AFAIK), Brazil is the single proprietary of technology that permits petroleum exploration in the deepest waters. And Brazil is also a territory with insane amounts of oil waiting to be extracted.

The interesting part is that all this showed how unaware Brazilian government is not only about the whole espionage theatrics, but also about managing its own natural resources.

The good side of the coin: Brazilian government is so concerned and frustrated about all this, they are willing to take serious measures on improving internet in the country (which now sucks). And if possible, without relying on American communication companies (which now they do).

Maybe that hacker will target next FBS, not FBI. but wait, FBS=Fasting Blood Sugar, so good luck in bringing down diabetes.:p

Looks like Brazil people lack democracy, USA should spare a little and send some via B2 express delivery

Yes because brazilians are expected to know the english language and everything about America, because you know everything about brazil, and you speak fluent Portuguese

Hey, I'm not doing business in Brazil, nor trying to "make a statement" by taking down one of its sensitive websites. If I would be doing any of that, yes, I'd learn Portuguese at least well enough to do what I was planning to accomplish.

As it is now, I'm laughing more at an *****/ignorant/noob (linguistically speaking) hacker than the US government or any of its agencies

Ha, ha what a plonker!

"...were taken down by an experienced Brazilian hacker"

I think inexperienced and definitely illiterate.

Yeah, I may not know a whole lot about Brazilian government, but if I were going to go through the trouble of hacking them, I'd at least make sure it's right friggin' site. FYI, "space" is "espaço" in Portuguese, so it wouldn't take a gorram rocket scientist (could NOT resist) to figure it out.

He must be very stupid... Mistaking NSA for NASA... LOL

Oh wait..... He DID put NASA's websites down. o.O

Back