BSOD - bad pool header

waterproof

I got a BSOD while playing games on my PC, here is the sys data it dumped.

The BSOD error was 'bad pool header' tried googling, said it could be drivers, but I am not sure what drivers caused it... maybe nvidia? any1 can decode this mess? :)

see attachments

Attachments

• dump.txt
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
Not too sure what that text file is, never seen anything like that before. Please follow this guide to attach your minidumps to your next post.

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in Windows Explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored under a file called minidump.The files will have a .dmp extension.

Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop (if there are less then just zip up what you have).

NOTE To zip up a file in Windows (all versions). Right-click the file or folder, click on Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder and save it to your desktop.
Open Windows Explorer, click on Desktop in the left column so you can see the zip file. In the left column click on C: > Windows > Minidump and then drag & drop any additional .dmp files into the zip folder.

• Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
• Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.
• Now click on the Upload button. When done, click on the Close this window button at the bottom of the page.
• Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

its gone now :(

but you have any idea what caused it? right after the BSOD i couldnt boot my pc, so i turned it off for 20 mins and then it booted up again...

It could have been caused by several factors, drivers, memmory, overheating, virus, etc. In most cases, once you have had a BSOD you will get another one.

Post the minidump files and I'll have a look.

Here's one that happened today, still can't find the fault of this!

Attachments

• WER-29328-0.sysdata.zip
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Is that the first BSOD you have had since last April?

All I can tell you from the minidump is that it was probably caused by a bad driver. Obviously the problem is only a minor issue as the crashes are very rare. That being the case it will be very difficult to track down the cause.

If you had had any other BSOD's then please post all the minidumps as just analysing one dump is not conclusive.

Is that the first BSOD you have had since last April?

All I can tell you from the minidump is that it was probably caused by a bad driver. Obviously the problem is only a minor issue as the crashes are very rare. That being the case it will be very difficult to track down the cause.

If you had had any other BSOD's then please post all the minidumps as just analysing one dump is not conclusive.

I think you read the date format on my thread wrong ;) it's from last november, yeah I assume you're not American as well? :)

I got two of these this month alone, could be 3 but I was asleep, same issue. I only updated my nVidia drivers (using the beta) so thats the only driver update I have done. However, Im not sure if it's the cause though.

Sorry about the date mix up, haven't been on this site for a while and forgot it was in American format.

As you are using a Beta driver that could be the cause as it will still be in development. Did you have any BSOD's before you installed this driver? If not then that would seems like the most likely culprit so try going back to the most up to date non Beta and see if the BSOD's still happen.

If that does not do the trick then please post all the dump files in the minidump folder.

Sorry about the date mix up, haven't been on this site for a while and forgot it was in American format.

As you are using a Beta driver that could be the cause as it will still be in development. Did you have any BSOD's before you installed this driver? If not then that would seems like the most likely culprit so try going back to the most up to date non Beta and see if the BSOD's still happen.

If that does not do the trick then please post all the dump files in the minidump folder.

I had rarely though before I installed BETA drivers but at the same time, I was running lots of stuff on my desktop.

Here's another BSOD with different reason, which Im still dumbstruck why I'm getting it again. It happens nearly everyday (pool header) but this is new. (its fault in nonpaged area) I assume its software again.

Attachments

• 020112-11450-01.zip
    38.2 KB · Views: 3
This particular crash can be caused by a bad driver but all too often it is due to faulty memory.

The system had been running for over 2 days before this occured.

A quick way to see if it is faulty RAM is to remove all but one of the RAM sticks and then keep using the PC to see if the crashes continue, if you get another crash, post the minidump and then swap the sticks around and continue normal use. You may find it only crashes with one of your RAM sticks.

If you have overclocked the RAM then switch it back to default settings.

This particular crash can be caused by a bad driver but all too often it is due to faulty memory.

If you have overclocked the RAM then switch it back to default settings.

I never overclocked my RAM, but I believe your statement sounds like a RAM issue, as I got another BSOD today, different summary. Its "Memory Management" attached the files.

Attachments

• 020212-10046-01.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
Actually I think I should take back what I said it could be RAM, tested my ram sticks using memtest, also tried each slot 1 by 1 to see if it's a single ram stick, 0 errors found. Now this leaves to some silly driver thats causing BSOD which i can't find. Btw I remove the BETA drivers for nvidia and revert back to the stable version, then next day I got that BSOD as i posted previously

If you were using Memtest86+ it needs to be run for at least 8 passes to get a conclusive result which would have taken a long time. Even after that I have seen several examples of Memtest passing a RAM stick as being fault free, only to find later that the RAM was infact faulty, Memtest can miss some minor errors.

That minidump does indeed state Memory Management but that could still be caused by a driver.

We need to prove if it is the RAM or not so what I would suggest you now try is (as suggested in post 10) to run the PC with just one Ram stick fitted, keep it going until you have a BSOD or at least 48 hours of up time, then swap the sticks and see if you still get another BSOD.

If BSOD's occur with both Ram sticks then we can move on to running the Driver Verifier.

If you were using Memtest86+ it needs to be run for at least 8 passes to get a conclusive result which would have taken a long time. Even after that I have seen several examples of Memtest passing a RAM stick as being fault free, only to find later that the RAM was infact faulty, Memtest can miss some minor errors.

That minidump does indeed state Memory Management but that could still be caused by a driver.

We need to prove if it is the RAM or not so what I would suggest you now try is (as suggested in post 10) to run the PC with just one Ram stick fitted, keep it going until you have a BSOD or at least 48 hours of up time, then swap the sticks and see if you still get another BSOD.

If BSOD's occur with both Ram sticks then we can move on to running the Driver Verifier.

8 tests is too long lol, I might as well get new RAM slots and since I have 16gb it will take very long. anyway I will do what you have suggested, however before I do, I want to test the drivers (if its from that) because as from what the thread I have made, I didn't get any until the point I mess with my graphic drivers.

new bsod after 2 days, this time its 'system service exception BSOD 0x0000003B'
didn't provide a minidump (odd) but did sys data.

Attachments

• WER-49889-0.sysdata.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 2
There is no dump file in that zip folder only sysdata.

There is no consistency in the error codes which is often an indication of faulty memory.

If it is the new beta graphics driver that is causing the problem then roll back to the previous driver and see if the problem stops.

I would suggest running Memtest overnight.

I think I figured out my BSOD issue, however I don't know what to do.

I realize, the period of when I made the thread and when I didn't had BSOD was because I wasn't playing my audio music winamp which I use, I decided to go a week without listening to music on my PC, no bsod, but once I have music/video running the same time, within minutes, playing music I get bsod, and each time I got bsod its either I had music / video playing the same time - coincidence but when I didnt have bsod is when I'm not playing music.

I manage to use bluescreenview and the cause of bsod was HDAUDBUS.sys and NTOSKRNL.exe, which I googled doesnt say much.. so what should I do regarding this error? I def. think its a driver issue not a ram issue.

Attachments

• WER-51698-0.sysdata.zip
    40.1 KB · Views: 1
The minidump states Memory Management again and the windows audio driver.

I would still recommend you run the Memtest for the time required to complete at least 8 passes.

You could also try updating the driver for your audio device.

Back