BSOD BCC 24, 8e; Hardware changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem originally started when I went to upgrade my ram from 2x 512 to 3x 1g. I have a feeling it might have screwed up my memory controller, becuase now I cant get any configuration of ram to run stable.

When I put the 3 1gig sticks in it would POST fine then right before starting windows hang. when I yanked 1 of the 3 out, it would then run, but started with the stability issues. I tried going back to the original 2 512 sticks, but I'm still getting BSODs. I'm beginning to think its motherboard related.

The two BSODs I get come with BCCs of 24 and 8e. Another thing to mention is I've reloaded windows after this problem started, so I'm not too sure my windows install is good either because of whatever is causing my stability issue.

I'm hoping someone might have some light to shed on the situation. I'm curious if you have a bad memory controller if MEMTEST will tell you. I'm also thinking about pulling the 2 512 sticks out and putting 1 stick back in to get it out of DDR and see what happens.

Attached are my minidumps, any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

And a little bit about the system:

AMD sempron 2800+
MSI K7N2 Delta 2
Original Ram: Kingston 512 DDR 200 2X
Newer Ram: Crucial 1 GB DDR200 3X
Vista 32bit
Geforce 6600GT AGP

One error is 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

One error is 0x8E and these are caused by hardware issues but since it only listed a core Windows driver as the possible cause that is too general to really help.

The two remaining errors are 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. AuhMa.org suggests running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities.

1. Run Chkdsk

2. Run a full harddrive diagnostics by utilizing the free utility from your harddrive manufacturer. You can get it off their website.

* Get back to us with the results.

Ok, Right before all these problems I took the manufacturer's CD for the HDD and wrote zeros to the full drive (about 12 hours...) During the course of that, I got no errors. I then reformatted it and installed windows.

Right now the only thing installed is windows, and the 7F probably occured during the windows installation when I wasnt paying attention. So that should eliminate any software issues. I also got one of the 24 BCCs right at the tail end of the windows install, so I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue. However I'm really stumped as to why adding new ram started all this. And I've tried going back to the old ram, but still, no success.

I dont think I have problems with the drive, but will gladly run chkdsk on it. however I cant for the life of me figure out how to do it successfully with windows vista... I've done some searching and all I find are XP methods. I even tried booting to the CD, loading the installer, going to the repair console, getting a dos prompt, then trying and it said the drive was locked maybe? I cant remember exactly what it said, but it the rights were restricted in some fashion.

another question, if I've got mobo problems, like with the memory controller, etc... they can cause these same symptoms, correct?

I also need to get in there and check the sockets for the ram, make sure they're good and clean, and report back....

right now I just need to figure out how to run chkdsk on vista successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back